Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bdrums - new to pools

1. Back To Top    #1

bdrums - new to pools

Hey all. We're north of Houston in Spring and are in the process of talking to builders. I've lurked for a couple of weeks and decided to join. Looks like a great place.

This will be our first pool so we are starting essentially at ground zero. Eh. We did have a vinyl liner pool growing up. I vaguely remember vacuuming, brushing, shocking and tangling with spiders in the skimmer. Oh what a pain. Swore I would not own a pool. Heh, heh.

B
    Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bdrums - new to pools

Welcome to TFP! Spend some time in Pool School. You will gain a much better idea of what you want, and more importantly, what it will take to maintain the pool you build.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks elwood58. I have spent some time there. At least enough to ask the PBs some intelligent sounding questions. Certainly need to spend more time there.

Our current leaning is Pebble Sheen, PCC2000, and traditional chlorine. This last piece is because all 4 builders we've talked to either do not install SWCGs or highly recommend against it. I was leaning away from SWCG anyway. This just made the decision that much easier.

We're waiting on designs and quotes from 3 and have one more initial meeting tomorrow.

Looks like if we decide to proceed this year, the earliest we'll have a functioning pool will be Oct/Nov. At least we'll be ready next Spring. And that's OK.

Build thread
    IG Gunite w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, 18K gallons 500sqft
    Jandy: 60 DE filter, 2.0 VS (main pump), 2.0 Flo Pro (features)
    Paramount PV3 w/ 1.5 Stealth, PDA PS6, JXi 400K NG
    Flagstone coping & wall. Stamped Concrete from BrickForm. TF-100 w/Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

OH FUN! We get to help spend your money! LOVE IT!

Please feel free to post the bids. We will pick them apart and help you out. Making sure you get what you need and don't buy anything you do not need.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome, and enjoy the forum!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Kim.

Haha! I'm sure. Fortunately for my wallet we have limited space and we don't want the pool to look out of place next to our house so that does keep things in check.

We've decided to keep the design very simple but buy top quality surfacing and cleaning.

7. Back To Top    #7

Good idea! Let us look over you equipment though as there are several goods and bads...............

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome! We're also located in Spring and we just finished building our pool.
    Good luck in selecting your PB!
    15k gallon IG, 36' x 15', built April 2015, Pebble Sheen
    Pentair CCP420 cartridge filter, Pentair EasyTouch 8 controller, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400K Heater
    Sta-Rite IntelliPro VS pump, Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 1HP & 2HP pumps
    Paramount PCC2000 ICS, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bdrums View Post
    but buy top quality surfacing and cleaning.
    Along with the "top quality" finish and hardware, make sure you don't cheap-out when it comes to a testing kit. Spend the $$ and get a top-of-the-line kit like the K-2006 from Taylor or the TF-100 from tftestkits.com (which contains Taylor reagents). I like the K-2006 only because I like the color-coordinating bottles for each test. I had that kit before I knew about the tf100, and now I'm spoiled.

It is very empowering to be able to do your own water tests, and know that anything you put in your pool, is something that is needed-- instead of relying on the testing at a pool store whose best interest isn't your pool, but instead is their profits. You can't totally blame them, they are a business after all. But that doesn't mean you have to line their pockets, instead of your own. And have a safe, sanitized, algae-free, sparkling pool in the process.

Good luck!

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the warm welcome, all. I plan to manage my own so one of those testing kits will be on the list. (back to reading...)

12. Back To Top    #12

hehe I bought my test kit before I got the pool! I wanted to make sure I could do it! It is easy and fun!

Kim