LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have questions about the distance a Pump/Filter combination can be placed from the pool. Just purchased an Intex 12 x 24 Ultra Frame Pool and Filter as a set. The listed GPH of the pump was 2100, but when it arrived I came to understand that the System GPH was only 1600. The pump is 1/2 HP. How do I calculate how far the pump/filter set up can be from the pool? Trying to decide whether to run electric to the pump near the pool or PVC to the pool so the pump can be away. Trying to keep the pump away from neighbors living room slider. Willing to upgrade to 1 HP pump/filter combo if necessary. Suggestions or links? Thanks

well the easy answer is that since your pump is a smaller one, I would not go too far from the pool...how far are you talking?

you can calculate pipe losses, etc, but that a bit too advanced. 8,500 gallons isn't a small pool, I think in the long run you would be more happy with the 1hp pump. and with that, no reservations with placing the pump a good distance from the pool and hard piping it in.

the farther away you are, the more losses you have in your pipes. so the further away you go, the less flow you will get. the pump is rated at 1600 gph, but you are not going to get that from the pump either way

yeah, no issues if you go with the 1hp pump. how many returns you got? skimmers? floor drain? you can always plumb it out and put the 1/2 hp in and see how your water flow is. if not, then get the 1hp. probably be a couple of extra bucks in pvc fittings. worth a shot.

I think I'll upgrade to th 1 HP so I don't have to be concerned about the distance. I really appreciate the input. I've been visiting TFP for about two months. I can't believe the amount of information and verifiable advice that comes from all of you. I should be up and running in about 2 weeks. I'll be back.......Thanks

Yep. Just purchased a Taylor K-2006. Testing the water source, city water, tonight to determine a base line. May post results and ask for help with initial treatment. Ground is level and ready for Setup and Filling which commences on Friday. My wife is very excited.....Thanks

great news. you will need chlorine/bleach and some stabilizer right away, so make sure you are stocked up. walmart has the best price on bleach from what I have read on here, and they also sell the stabilizer. about $14 for a 4 lb jug of it I believe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at a pool store site for chemicals...Holy Moly there are's a lot of product out there :crazy:. The TFP way seems easier to understand...I'm new to the terminology, so, may I ask :confused:, is Stabilizer CYA? (From the WalMart website)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.