Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Distance of Pump/Filter from AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Distance of Pump/Filter from AGP

I have questions about the distance a Pump/Filter combination can be placed from the pool. Just purchased an Intex 12 x 24 Ultra Frame Pool and Filter as a set. The listed GPH of the pump was 2100, but when it arrived I came to understand that the System GPH was only 1600. The pump is 1/2 HP. How do I calculate how far the pump/filter set up can be from the pool? Trying to decide whether to run electric to the pump near the pool or PVC to the pool so the pump can be away. Trying to keep the pump away from neighbors living room slider. Willing to upgrade to 1 HP pump/filter combo if necessary. Suggestions or links? Thanks
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Distance of Pump/Filter from AGP

well the easy answer is that since your pump is a smaller one, I would not go too far from the pool...how far are you talking?

you can calculate pipe losses, etc, but that a bit too advanced. 8,500 gallons isn't a small pool, I think in the long run you would be more happy with the 1hp pump. and with that, no reservations with placing the pump a good distance from the pool and hard piping it in.

the farther away you are, the more losses you have in your pipes. so the further away you go, the less flow you will get. the pump is rated at 1600 gph, but you are not going to get that from the pump either way
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

About 25 feet.....I can always sell the 1/2 HP and upgrade. It's still in the box...Thanks for the help..
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)
    12 x 24 x 52 Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 8600 Gal; Pentair 2HP/2SP 150sqft Cartridge Filter; Hayward Through Wall Skimmer; Intex Automatic Cleaner (Fantastic); K-2006 Test Kit; Start-up 07/30/2015. First Time Pool Owner in SoCal.

4. Back To Top    #4

yeah, no issues if you go with the 1hp pump. how many returns you got? skimmers? floor drain? you can always plumb it out and put the 1/2 hp in and see how your water flow is. if not, then get the 1hp. probably be a couple of extra bucks in pvc fittings. worth a shot.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine came with the same pump but I put in reserve and purchase this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSPHS7E/...ROXBRT9M&psc=1
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

One more thing, I think the volume of your pool should be 8400 gal also I purchased a swg this is the new model http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PHWUIL2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3SF655ICTHPLA& coliid=I3G3UEOO5KHOGG&psc=1

- - - Updated - - -

Go for the 15000 gal model
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

I think I'll upgrade to th 1 HP so I don't have to be concerned about the distance. I really appreciate the input. I've been visiting TFP for about two months. I can't believe the amount of information and verifiable advice that comes from all of you. I should be up and running in about 2 weeks. I'll be back.......Thanks
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)

8. Back To Top    #8

good deal man. you got a test kit yet for when you fill up??
    Dan

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep. Just purchased a Taylor K-2006. Testing the water source, city water, tonight to determine a base line. May post results and ask for help with initial treatment. Ground is level and ready for Setup and Filling which commences on Friday. My wife is very excited.....Thanks
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)

10. Back To Top    #10

great news. you will need chlorine/bleach and some stabilizer right away, so make sure you are stocked up. walmart has the best price on bleach from what I have read on here, and they also sell the stabilizer. about $14 for a 4 lb jug of it I believe.
    Dan

11. Back To Top    #11

Looking at a pool store site for chemicals...Holy Moly there are's a lot of product out there . The TFP way seems easier to understand...I'm new to the terminology, so, may I ask , is Stabilizer CYA? (From the WalMart website)
    Bob (AKA Schnozz)

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Schnozz View Post
    Looking at a pool store site for chemicals...Holy Moly there are's a lot of product out there . The TFP way seems easier to understand...I'm new to the terminology, so, may I ask , is Stabilizer CYA? (From the WalMart website)
    yes, stabilizer is CYA. I think Walmart has a 4lb jug of it for around $14 or so.
    Dan