Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main Drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Main Drain

Hi, first time post.

I have an in ground pool that we had re-diamondbrited in 2013. The pool has a main drain in the deep end and a skimmer also in the deep end. Currently the main drain is non-operational and only the skimmer operates. The water is well maintained and in excellent shape, chemicals are in range and color is nice. I brought in someone to dive down and look at the main drain. He said that the main drain is plugged with diamondbrite and some cement. He told me that there are two good possibilities, either the people resurfacing were sloppy and plugged it by mistake, or that there is a leak and they plugged the drain instead of spending a lot of money to fix it. He said he can open it up and to see if there is a leak if I wanted to.

My question is, is there any negative effect on the pool and the water quality to run only the skimmer and the leave the main drain off. I have a little one and I want to make sure that the water is safe and healthy for him to swim in, free of bacteria and impurities.

I'm a novice and would appreciate any advice you may be able to provide.

Thanks,

Ady
    8600 gallon in-ground plaster/diamondbrite pool built in 1997, resurfaced in 2013
    Pump: HST080 (.80 HP), Unicel filter, Liquid Chlorine
    Pool is in a screened in patio

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main Drain

Welcome to TFP!

You may miss a main drain if you use it much to help clean the pool when you brush things to it. Like perhaps if you brush a good amount of dirt or debris to them for filtering out. However you can run without it, and if you do, it's a good idea to make sure you have some return jets pointed downward in that area to ensure good circulation.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

With only the skimmer as an intake, you want to be sure the skimmer never gets starved for water flow, like when a Weir gets stuck. If it does, your pump will get starved for water. Look on the wall directly below the skimmer for any other intake. If one exists, it would have a cover on it similar to a Main Drain cover, for safety purposes.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

One downside to not having a main drain is when you need to drain your pool it will be more difficult. I assume you could still do it by connecting a vacuum hose and dropping it in the pool once the water got below the skimmers but having a main drain is much easier. Other than that, as long as your skimmer stays in good working condition and unclogged I would say you should be ok. You do need to make certain that the skimmer doesn't get fully clogged. If it does, you could burn out your pump since it only pulls from the one skimmer at this point.

Note - There's a lot of smarter pool guys and gals on here so I defer to them but that's my two cents.
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have only one opening in your main drain or do you have two openings? If it was only one opening, I might consider not unplugging it for safety reasons UNLESS you also put in a safety cover. If has two openings, then it might be worth trying - but you might be asking for more headache if there is a leak. Have you had any issues with keeping your pool clean? If no - then why open up a potential can of worm. Only you can decide if it's worth taking the risk.

http://blog.poolcenter.com/article.aspx?articleid=6194
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.

6. Back To Top    #6

Lack of a main drain is really of no major concern. You can direct eyeballs for circulation to the deeper water. Many many many pools have been built in the last several years without a main drain at all. Including mine.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you for all the replies. Very reassuring.

Ady
    8600 gallon in-ground plaster/diamondbrite pool built in 1997, resurfaced in 2013
    Pump: HST080 (.80 HP), Unicel filter, Liquid Chlorine
    Pool is in a screened in patio