WHOA! What ate my SWG cell??

acroy

May 11, 2010
Dallas TX
This is a 4yr old Compupool CPSC48 SWG. The cell is about 2yrs old. Just in the last few weeks it delaminated / corroded / separated; the plates are disintegrating, the connection to one plate is gone and the cell is dead.

IMG_20150715_153516957_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150715_153527905_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150715_153446893.jpg

The original cell was replaced under warranty when the connections became flaky and melted itself.
The unit has never read the right water temp or salt level (it thinks it’s 69 degrees and low on salt year-round!). It has always made a lot of chlorine.

I’m a pool maintenance nut and keep things maintained year-round; cell is cleaned per manual whenever it gets buildup (1-2x per year, not much!)
Pool chems:
30k gal gunite
Salt 3,500 (verified with strips & chemical test)
FC 5
CH 450 (a bit high but manageable)
TA 70
CYA 80
Borate 50
pH 7.7-7.9

The only ‘out of ordinary’ occurrence I can think of is that a month ago, I did some adjustments as below
- Bumped CYA from 60 to 80. I broadcast the granular CYA into the pool and let it run for a week straight on low speed. The pressure-side PoolVergnuegen was run without the collection bag; this does a great job to stir up the pool. I did not turn off the salt cell. I understand that excess acid entering the system is no good; however the pool draws the majority of the water through the skimmers, not the floor drain, so I see no way for much CYA to get into the filtration equipment.
- Added salt to go from 3,000 to 3,500ppm; same method of addition as CYA above
- I tried to ‘recalibrate’ the SWG to get rid of the ‘low salt’ alarm. This involved taking it apart and re-setting values. The guide from Inyo Pools says to set to +6 on both polarities. There has been a thread or 2 on here questioning that number; so I set it to +35. It did not remove the alarm….

So what happened? I really doubt I damaged it via chemistry. I wonder about the calibration settings: but do not understand how an incorrect setting could cause the unit to self-destruct.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question but in my experience corrosion that happens as quickly as you describe typically comes from electrolysis. Don't know how that could happen in this situation though.

The pH is high, but I don't know if that would cause problems. When the cell was replaced under warranty did they check that the rest of the unit was operating properly?

Yes; the cell & cord was damaged, so they sent a new cell and control unit (with integrated cord, they don't want users working on the cord itself.)
The only thing that did not get replaced was the cell housing itself.

Call:
Jason Thompson
Customer Service Manager
CompuPool Products
126 Semoran Commerce Pl.
Suite B
Apopka, FL 32703
Toll Free: 888-989-7258
Fax: 407-880-6483
[email protected]

He's been helpful in the past with my issues.

As a side not you could remove the bad plate and call it a CPSC 36. (Tongue in cheek bad humor.)

Do you use dry acid to control pH rise?
Its a long shot but you may want to consider having an electrician check the electrical supply from the breaker to the unit. Make sure it was installed according to the recommendations in the owner's manual.

No; always liquid acid; added to deep end & stirred in.
I installed the unit myself and it is by the book; very solid installation. I also check all connections every 3mo as preventative maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

Call:
Jason Thompson
Customer Service Manager
CompuPool Products
126 Semoran Commerce Pl.
Suite B
Apopka, FL 32703
Toll Free: 888-989-7258
Fax: 407-880-6483
[email protected]

He's been helpful in the past with my issues.

As a side not you could remove the bad plate and call it a CPSC 36. (Tongue in cheek bad humor.)

Thanks! I though CompuPool had left these shoes. Will give him a call.

On seeing this thing fall apart, my first thought was how to hack it back together again ;)

UPDATE:
CompuPool was not helpful: "It's out of warranty so you're out of luck. And sorry, we don't know what might have happened. Here is a part number for the new cell"

Sooo.... the unit is limping along on the original cell - which melted itself but still worked! I'll baby it and see if it'll go another season or 2. Then, new unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.