Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: WHOA! What ate my SWG cell??

1. Back To Top    #1

WHOA! What ate my SWG cell??

This is a 4yr old Compupool CPSC48 SWG. The cell is about 2yrs old. Just in the last few weeks it delaminated / corroded / separated; the plates are disintegrating, the connection to one plate is gone and the cell is dead.

IMG_20150715_153516957_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150715_153527905_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150715_153446893.jpg

The original cell was replaced under warranty when the connections became flaky and melted itself.
    The unit has never read the right water temp or salt level (it thinks it’s 69 degrees and low on salt year-round!). It has always made a lot of chlorine.

I’m a pool maintenance nut and keep things maintained year-round; cell is cleaned per manual whenever it gets buildup (1-2x per year, not much!)
    Pool chems:
    30k gal gunite
    Salt 3,500 (verified with strips & chemical test)
    FC 5
    CH 450 (a bit high but manageable)
    TA 70
    CYA 80
    Borate 50
    pH 7.7-7.9

The only ‘out of ordinary’ occurrence I can think of is that a month ago, I did some adjustments as below
    - Bumped CYA from 60 to 80. I broadcast the granular CYA into the pool and let it run for a week straight on low speed. The pressure-side PoolVergnuegen was run without the collection bag; this does a great job to stir up the pool. I did not turn off the salt cell. I understand that excess acid entering the system is no good; however the pool draws the majority of the water through the skimmers, not the floor drain, so I see no way for much CYA to get into the filtration equipment.
    - Added salt to go from 3,000 to 3,500ppm; same method of addition as CYA above
    - I tried to ‘recalibrate’ the SWG to get rid of the ‘low salt’ alarm. This involved taking it apart and re-setting values. The guide from Inyo Pools says to set to +6 on both polarities. There has been a thread or 2 on here questioning that number; so I set it to +35. It did not remove the alarm….

So what happened? I really doubt I damaged it via chemistry. I wonder about the calibration settings: but do not understand how an incorrect setting could cause the unit to self-destruct.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: WHOA! What ate my SWG cell??

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question but in my experience corrosion that happens as quickly as you describe typically comes from electrolysis. Don't know how that could happen in this situation though.
    Polar Pools, 19' x 39' Vinyl Lined IG, 3' to 9' deep, 33,300 Gallons?
    Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Sand Filter Model # S244T, Compupool SWG, Heliocol Solar Heating
    K-2006 test kit, 1766 Salt Test Kit , Taylor SpeedStir
    Built in 2009, Salt Lake City, UT.

3. Back To Top    #3

The pH is high, but I don't know if that would cause problems. When the cell was replaced under warranty did they check that the rest of the unit was operating properly?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I doubt it was the CYA that did it, as it is common to put it in the skimmer sock, which would result in a higher concentration in that water running through a SWG, than broadcast in pool. I believe @chemgeek said it is a mild acid anyhow.
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    The pH is high, but I don't know if that would cause problems. When the cell was replaced under warranty did they check that the rest of the unit was operating properly?
    Yes; the cell & cord was damaged, so they sent a new cell and control unit (with integrated cord, they don't want users working on the cord itself.)
    The only thing that did not get replaced was the cell housing itself.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

6. Back To Top    #6

The Cya did not do it. If it did, the hundreds of other Salt pool owners would see this happening and they do not. Sorry I don't have the answer, but Cya isn't the cause.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you use dry acid to control pH rise?
    Its a long shot but you may want to consider having an electrician check the electrical supply from the breaker to the unit. Make sure it was installed according to the recommendations in the owner's manual.

TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Call:
    Jason Thompson
    Customer Service Manager
    CompuPool Products
    126 Semoran Commerce Pl.
    Suite B
    Apopka, FL 32703
    Toll Free: 888-989-7258
    Fax: 407-880-6483
    compupoolusajt@aol.com

He's been helpful in the past with my issues.

As a side not you could remove the bad plate and call it a CPSC 36. (Tongue in cheek bad humor.)
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Do you use dry acid to control pH rise?
    Its a long shot but you may want to consider having an electrician check the electrical supply from the breaker to the unit. Make sure it was installed according to the recommendations in the owner's manual.

No; always liquid acid; added to deep end & stirred in.
    I installed the unit myself and it is by the book; very solid installation. I also check all connections every 3mo as preventative maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Call:
    Jason Thompson
    Customer Service Manager
    CompuPool Products
    126 Semoran Commerce Pl.
    Suite B
    Apopka, FL 32703
    Toll Free: 888-989-7258
    Fax: 407-880-6483
    compupoolusajt@aol.com

He's been helpful in the past with my issues.

As a side not you could remove the bad plate and call it a CPSC 36. (Tongue in cheek bad humor.)
    Thanks! I though CompuPool had left these shoes. Will give him a call.

On seeing this thing fall apart, my first thought was how to hack it back together again

10. Back To Top    #10

UPDATE:
    CompuPool was not helpful: "It's out of warranty so you're out of luck. And sorry, we don't know what might have happened. Here is a part number for the new cell"

Sooo.... the unit is limping along on the original cell - which melted itself but still worked! I'll baby it and see if it'll go another season or 2. Then, new unit.