Salt water system by Intex

Jun 27, 2015
Louisville, KY
Hi! I am a new pool owner! My daughter and I bought an Intex pool, we also added a saltwater system. We were just wondering if u can add bleach to a saltwater system! Our pool has started turning green and we have no idea what to do! Can u still swim in this? The hose came off yesterday so I had to fill it back up and now it is green! I cleaned it yesterday as I was refilling it! Do u slam saltwater pools? Thanks for all of your help!!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes, you can slam a saltwater pool with bleach, it won't harm it at all. In fact, when you start a saltwater pool you should use bleach for a couple of days to get the chlorine up to the correct level. A saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) is great at maintaining chlorine levels but can struggle to reach the correct level on their own.

To clear your pool you need to complete the SLAM process . You will also need a high quality test kit such as the TF 100 or Taylor K2006 in order to complete the slam.

A salt water system IS a chlorine system, the swg is use to maintain the chlorine level, so in the beginning and at any time your chlorine level is below your target level according to your CYA, you must supplement mostly using bleach.. Hope this help

Was your SWG maintaining your chlorine level before the hose came off and you had to refill? It's not relevant to your question, just curious.

I have the same set up Mimi. The first time we fill the pool up every summer I always add bleach to get the chlorine up to the target level and just maintain with the SWG. Anytime I need to SLAM I turn the SWG off and use bleach.

I hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the pool calculator to figure out how much bleach to use. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
Make sure your setting up the calculator for the proper gallons that you have in your pool along with the percentage of bleach you are using. However, if your pool is already green you will have to SLAM it to get all of that nasty stuff out of the water.

If you haven't already go study up on pool school Pool School - Pool School
You are going to love taking control of your pool with all of the information you will be learning from TFP. You will know with 100% certainty that your pool is safe for you and your daughter to swim :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much everyone for the input! I did slam it and it looked a whole lot better today! We bought a test kit at Walmart to use until our TF 100 comes in! I appreciate all the help!! Everyone have a great weekend!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.