SLAM-ing. Where is the demand?

I took the light fixture apart and cleaned out a lot of dust and white slimy stuff like wet toilet paper. Not sure what it was but it is gone and I left the fixture off and we will see what happens now.

One variable now removed!

Hello shacke, I was reading your first post and have a question. You said CYA was still at 20, despite adding "gallons and gallons". Have you added stabilizer to raise CYA or are you referring to adding "gallons" of fresh water.

Just had me curious :confused:

I added lots of liquid cya. Lots of it. Haven't diluted enough with rain to explain where it all goes so I am not dealing with it again until SLAM is over.

I went through the same thing this year. We had heavy rains and my CYA went down with me having to drain the pool back down to normal level (CH too) several times. Anyway, I have added 3 gallons of liquid CYA. I should be at a CYA of 75, but I'm barely at 40. I think it may have lost strength over time before I added it.

I used Pro-Tec (or Pro-Tech) liquid CYA. The liquid seems very convenient but I don't think I got my monies worth. I think I'll be using the solid granules next time. The granules may take longer to dissolve, but they are full strength.

I went through the same thing this year. We had heavy rains and my CYA went down with me having to drain the pool back down to normal level (CH too) several times. Anyway, I have added 3 gallons of liquid CYA. I should be at a CYA of 75, but I'm barely at 40. I think it may have lost strength over time before I added it.

I used Pro-Tec (or Pro-Tech) liquid CYA. The liquid seems very convenient but I don't think I got my monies worth. I think I'll be using the solid granules next time. The granules may take longer to dissolve, but they are full strength.

I use the natural chemistry CYA, for what it's worth. Same issue except I drained a little only once.

Back to OP - I think my SLAM with open light is turning the corner. My OCLT is 3 and my CC is less than 0.5! I am away for the day so threw a good slug on Cl in there. Hope tomorrow is even better result!

I use the natural chemistry CYA, for what it's worth. Same issue except I drained a little only once.

Back to OP - I think my SLAM with open light is turning the corner. My OCLT is 3 and my CC is less than 0.5! I am away for the day so threw a good slug on Cl in there. Hope tomorrow is even better result!

OCLT back up - INCREASED to 6 (21.5 --- 15).

This is day 7, my CC is barely 0.5, water is perfectly clear - - and something out there is eating 6 ppm overnight after a week!

Question - we have dogs that swim on occasion. I know the pool service folks last time they cleaned the grids earlier in the season said there was lots of dog hair in there. Can that hair cause this problem? I am sure there is some in there now - our dogs swim more than we do.

Thanks for the continued help - I will report back. When I finally succeed, I hope this helps someone else in the future.

I failed the 3rd piece by not checking the OCLT. CC was 0.5 and the water was clear. I think that set me up for this need to slam again.
Yours is a very normal story. At this point, most SLAMmers throw up their hands and think their pool is the one pool that has magic algae or a curse on it and it will never clear. That is simply not the case.

Have you returned your FC back to SLAM value? are you holding it there throughout the course of the day or are you getting "cold feet" and wondering if there isn't another alternative than all this Clorox?

The hard truth is there is no alternative....you still have organics in your pool.....failure of the OCLT proves that.

Go back to the basics......chlorine is consumed by UV from the sun and organics in your pool. The OCLT eliminates the sun and proves to you that you still have organics in your pool..........the solution to that is SLAM value chlorine.

Keep the faith. The only time the SLAM doesn't work is when it is not done properly......you seem to be doing fine....don't stop.

The dogs have very little to do with it.

PS - rereading, I may sound a little harsh. That is not my intent. My intent is to explain how really dependable this process is and to give you understanding so you will keep at it.

My dogs swam too and I eventually passed the OCLT. They contribute to making it hard to keep the pool clean - lol, but you can still pass the OCLT with dogs. Just stick with it and don't give up!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yours is a very normal story. At this point, most SLAMmers throw up their hands and think their pool is the one pool that has magic algae or a curse on it and it will never clear. That is simply not the case.

Have you returned your FC back to SLAM value? are you holding it there throughout the course of the day or are you getting "cold feet" and wondering if there isn't another alternative than all this Clorox?

The hard truth is there is no alternative....you still have organics in your pool.....failure of the OCLT proves that.

Go back to the basics......chlorine is consumed by UV from the sun and organics in your pool. The OCLT eliminates the sun and proves to you that you still have organics in your pool..........the solution to that is SLAM value chlorine.

Keep the faith. The only time the SLAM doesn't work is when it is not done properly......you seem to be doing fine....don't stop.

The dogs have very little to do with it.

PS - rereading, I may sound a little harsh. That is not my intent. My intent is to explain how really dependable this process is and to give you understanding so you will keep at it.

Thank you. Honestly, thanks. I will keep at it knowing I am not a strange case. It is not intuitive to think that something is chewy up so much FC for so long but 'on the surface' it looks pristine.

I will soldier on. Thanks for the post!

I am in a groove of adding a gallon of Cl in morning and again at night and I hope this breaks soon enough. I am willing to keep going and going and going. Just got my extra large DPD reagents from tftestkitd to keep it up for the forseeable future.

We have a real heat wave here in Philly. I know it's algae and sunlight that drives FC consumption but shouldn't the heat really affect the doubling time of that algae? I would think it would be easier to SLAM in cooler weather when the water is cooler.

I am. But since I work, it is easiest for me to make sure I stay a bit over shock level and a clean gallon each AM and PM which seems to be about right. Better over than under as I don't need another extra day of this because of my missing the mark.

Once the demand falls, I hope to decrease that gallonage of course.

Oh yes, when I was slamming in the spring and teaching, I would over shoot before work and before bed. I can relate to that. You should be able to reduce gallon usage as the SLAM progresses.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am. But since I work, it is easiest for me to make sure I stay a bit over shock level and a clean gallon each AM and PM which seems to be about right. Better over than under as I don't need another extra day of this because of my missing the mark.

Once the demand falls, I hope to decrease that gallonage of course.

I did the same when I was gone for work. just don't go too far is all.

I tested when I woke up, got back from work, and right before bed. so tested/dosed three times a day.

you will get there.

FC last night: 15
FC this am: 15

OCLT: PASS

Actually it was zero yesterday but I couldn't believe it - figured I was dreaming so I repeated it today.

The water looks crazy clear and feels great. I think I never knew what 'normal' was!

Daytime FC loss in this weather is substantial - time to crank up the CYA level.

Thanks for keeping me sane, everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.