Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Long Rubber Couplings in Pool Plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Long Rubber Couplings in Pool Plumbing

I have some long rubber couplings (1-2 feet) in my pool plumbing, allowing some flex near the pump and filter. They are connecting 1-1/2" pipes together. I want a piece of this for another project, but I can't find anything as to where to get this. Lowe's and HD have short (4") couplers, and I can't find anything online or in pool stores. Does anyone know where I can find this, or even what a primary use is for it so I can narrow my search?

Thanks
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Long Rubber Couplings in Pool Plumbing

Perhaps it is some sort of radiator hose like used on cars? Picture would help.

3. Back To Top    #3

I thought of the radiator hose, but it's perfectly straight, as opposed to the usually molded shapes of radiator hoses. It's just like the one in the link, except much longer:
    Fernco Flexible Coupling, 3-1/2 In. L P1056-22 | Zoro.com
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

You can get radiator type hose that is not pre molded. A picture of the actual piece would be better. I know there is no such thing made by fernco nor none of its competitors, as I use those type of fittings quite often.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy47 View Post
    You can get radiator type hose that is not pre molded. A picture of the actual piece would be better. .....
    +1
    If you cant find something at auto/truck supplies, try marine supply- Most boats make use of this type hose's in one use or another
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll try to get a picture tonight...in the meantime I'll search for straight radiator hoses...
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I thought radiator hose are not very good at UV protection. Overtime, they become brittle when exposed to sunlight. The coupling hose that are used for solar panels are actually gas line hose that can be special order from an automotive store. Last - have you considered using flexible PVC (Spa Flex)? I don't know the UV protection on Spa Flex, but they use standard schedule 40 fittings.
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.