New Oregon Member - Water issues already

This is our first big pool - Intex 15x48 round - and it's been quite the struggle learning all these new tests with our Taylor K-2006. We put the pool up in early June and the first week of July we had to go out of town for an emergency. We got back....wait for it....and we had green. Algae folks. Ever since it's been a cloudy, murky mess. Here are my numbers....

FAS/DPD Chlorine Test (FC) = 15.5
PH = 7.2
Total Alkalinity (TA) = 80 ppm
Calcium Hardness (CH) = 60 ppm
Cyanuric Acid (CYA) = 70 ppm

I have a Intex 3K gal sand filter followed by a swg. I have been running the sand filter non-stop for two weeks now.

Please help me learn by any advice on the numbers. This stuff is more than I thought I could chew on.

Thanks, and I am glad to be a part the TFP family.

Matt

Aww snap! Welcome to TFP!

You will need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain the pool to get rid of the algae.

PH test is not valid when FC is above 10. Let FC drop to 9 and retest before starting SLAM.
TA is ok.
Is CA calcium? aka calcium hardness aka CH? :) CH is not important in a vinyl pool as long as it isn't way high, like 800. But that number is pretty low and there might be a testing error or you have really soft water.
CC is combined chlorine and cannot be 60ppm. Maybe it is 6? Even that is pretty high. But, if it is 6 it certainly confirms that you have algae.
The missing and very important number is CYA/stabilizer. Your chlorine level is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, please add your city to your location in your profile or everyone will think you are in IL.
Click SETTINGS upper right, click EDIT PROFILE lower left, add , OR to city/state and save it at the bottom.

Thanks for the help, pooldv. I updated my abreviations. Here are those numbers again.

I have already read through the SLAM process, so I will start that when FC drops to 9.

FAS/DPD Chlorine Test (FC) = 15.5
PH = 7.2
Total Alkalinity (TA) = 80 ppm
Calcium Hardness (CH) = 60 ppm
Cyanuric Acid (CYA) = 70 ppm

Welcome Matt,

Just follow SLAM procedures and this will clear. It will take a lot of FC at 70 stabilizer, but it can be done. Just stick with it and MAINTAIN FC until you pass all three criteria for the procedure.

Matt you are so in the right track it is not even funny! Good job on the good test kit and knowing what to do!

Now here are a couple of things you need to do today.

-Order some more test stuff. You will need more of the stuff to test FC since you are doing a SLAM. Order now please so you do not run out.

-pics-take a pic of your steps looking down into the water (don't drop the camera!). We will use that to see your progress.

-Bleach/chlorine-find where your best and easiest to get to bleach/chlorine is. Just plain ole bleach or pool store chlorine-same stuff just different % of active ingredient. Get a lot of it to start with.

HUGS!

We will get you clear again!

Kim

Matt you are so in the right track it is not even funny! Good job on the good test kit and knowing what to do!

Now here are a couple of things you need to do today.

-Order some more test stuff. You will need more of the stuff to test FC since you are doing a SLAM. Order now please so you do not run out.

-pics-take a pic of your steps looking down into the water (don't drop the camera!). We will use that to see your progress.

-Bleach/chlorine-find where your best and easiest to get to bleach/chlorine is. Just plain ole bleach or pool store chlorine-same stuff just different % of active ingredient. Get a lot of it to start with.

HUGS!

We will get you clear again!

Kim
Thanks, Kim, but I usually don't hug on the first post. LOL!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Here's a new pic as of an hour ago. Surprisingly the pool looks 75% better today so I might be close.

So the wife bought me bleach at Walmart and when I got home she informed me that she already threw a gallon in. Ugh. So I tested the FC anyways and it's exactly where it should be. FC is 28.

So, can I roll with SLAMing it, or do I really need to drop it down to 9 FC first?

e1383deb4d38d8a21d75797d7b7c5182.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope you tested FC at least an hour after your last addition and after dark. Sometimes people forget that step. You need that number for your OCLT. Good luck and all. Also, many people do a second OCLT the next night just to be positive they're done.