Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Understanding the Chlorine / CYA Chart

1. Back To Top    #1

Understanding the Chlorine / CYA Chart

I was just on the Pool School page and researching information about how to SLAM. Below is the FC Shock Level chart that I copied from the Chlorine/Cya Chart:

Non -SWG Pools

CYA (Stabilizer) Minimum FC Target FC Shock FC
    20*
    70*
    80*
    90*
    100*

I'm sorry for being so ignorant but I don't understand what the Shock FC column means. If my CYA is at 40 (for example) but my chlorine is at 1, how much shock to I add to get things balanced?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    14'x42" AG Polygroup Pro-Series, 3300 gal. capacity, SFS1000 filter system, F1000C pump type, Basic vaccum head that came with pool
    AND
    16'x48" AG Intex Round Ultra Frame, 6000 gal. capacity, Krystal Clear Model 635T 1500 gal filter pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Understanding the Chlorine / CYA Chart

When you have x amount of CYA (stabilizer) in your pool, your chlorine requirements must be of a certain amount to keep the pool healthy. When the pool is sick (algae, gross contamination, cloudy, testing shows CC's,etc) the way to bring the pool back to health is to kill all the cooties with liquid chlorine at a high enough level, i.e. the Shock # on CYA chart, to kill and then maintain that level for as long as the *process* takes. We call this a SLAM procedure, but in the past they called it "Shocking"

Some pool stores sell a product called "Shock" which might be stabilized chlorine or liquid chlorine or some calcium with chlorine...its a one time toss it in and pray type product. It doesn't work very well and in some instances actually adds to the pool's problems.

So by reading the CYA/Chlorine chart if your CYA is accurately tested to be 50, you'd want to keep your day to day chlorine around FC 6, but never dropping below FC 4 or algae can get a foot up in the pool. If algae did that you would raise the FC level to 20 for the *entire* time you're cleaning the pool up. 24/7 if possible.

I hope this helps explain the chart?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to add, after you determine your "Now" FC number and your "Target" FC number (for daily maintenance or for shock level), you would put those numbers into PoolMath to determine how much bleach is required to give the desired change in FC.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

FC stands for "free chlorine" - it's a measurement of chlorine level in the water. Units are ppm (parts per million). From the original post, I wasn't sure that was clear to you. So, the shock FC column gives you the level of free chlorine you need to reach, and maintain, during the SLAM process.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

5. Back To Top    #5

We could change the name of the column to "SLAM FC" to be more clear. We've moved away from calling the process shocking your pool because it's not a one-time event and the maintenance of the higher FC level is a key part of the process.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with doing this. The word 'shock' means too many different things to too many different people.

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    We could change the name of the column to "SLAM FC" to be more clear. We've moved away from calling the process shocking your pool because it's not a one-time event and the maintenance of the higher FC level is a key part of the process.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

"Shock level" is in the SLAM acronym so I'm not sure it makes sense to change the table.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Make that SLAM FC a hyperlink to the slam page as well.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    I agree with doing this. The word 'shock' means too many different things to too many different people.

I'd heard many versions of "shocking" a pool. It wasn't until I arrived at this forum that it cleared up for me.
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

10. Back To Top    #10

I have noticed that the term "shocking" does cause some confusions. Interesting.

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]