Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cya test with the TF-100 test kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Saint Albans, Vermont

cya test with the TF-100 test kit

I'd like to get some clarification on how to read the view tube on the cya test. As an example when looking down the view tube I often think the black dot has completely disappeared. But after a few seconds I may start to see a very slight shadow where the dot is. (like I can see it and then I can't and then I see it again etc.) If this was at the 40 ppm line on the view tube by adding more test solution to get to the 30 ppm line usually is enough so I don't see that slight shadow. Would the correct cya reading be 40 ppm or 30 ppm? I think the answer is 30 ppm but since the target FC level is determined by this reading I want to be sure.

18x36 ~25k gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Super pump VS (IS2600VSP), Hayward sand filter S244T, Hayward CL200 auto chlorine feeder, Zodiac G3 cleaner, Pool install July 2014, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cya test with the TF-100 test kit

I've noticed this too. Will be interested to hear the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My pool: Sharkline Venture 24' x 52" ; Pentair Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Pump ; Pentair SD80 Sand Filter; TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

The best way to perform that test is with the sun at your back and holding the vial down at waist level. From what you describe, I'd have taken that as 40.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

It is better to round up, estimate up, etc. Remember, it is safe to swim up to shock level. But, below minimum the pool is unsanitary and algae can grow. So, it is much better yo have a couple ppm more FC than it is to have a couple less.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach