Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: drop in steps keep floating

1. Back To Top    #1

drop in steps keep floating

does'nt necessarily bother me functionally, but worried that the banginig of the bottom of the stairs on the liner will eventually damage it. thoughts?ladder 3.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: drop in steps keep floating

I have a pad under mine and I put a 10# weight on the platform that is behind the steps. My other set of steps, per instructions, are filled with water. Some people fill pvc with cement, cap the tube, and hang it on the steps. Search the forum for some ideas on how to weigh down pool steps or floating steps. Lots of information is available.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

3. Back To Top    #3

Although we have different steps, it's the same principle - we filled empty bleach bottles with sand and tied them to the steps. Works perfectly. We also have a pad under our steps.
    Morada 24' x 52" round AGP, 13500 gals
    Waterway 1hp Horzintal Pump & Motor, Waterway Clearwater II 150 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Polaris 65, K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

On the pads, is there a specific type of pad I should get? if it is something that does not sink and stay on the bottom, then it wont work since these steps doont actualy touch the bottom unless someone is tepping on them ( or hopefully when I add the weights as recommended above)

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a pad under mine and drilled holes to allow water in to weight it down.
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

The mat is shown in the link below. You do need the steps to keep it in place. Can you did down outside of the pool so the ladder touches the bottom? Amazon.com : Hydro Tools 87953 Protective Pool Ladder Mat, 9-Inch by 36-Inch : Swimming Pool Ladders : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

7. Back To Top    #7

The ladder attatches to a deck which is level with the sides of the pool

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the same steps and my hubby adjusted the pipe handles until the steps touched the bottom. My deck is higher than the pool.
    Susan😎
    Swim N Play Yorkshire 15'x48" round AGP
    Pentair Clean and Clear 75 sq ft Cartridge filter and 1 hp Optiflo pump
    Hayward Aquabug cleaner🐞 and Taylor K-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Some have used an actual bath mat. The suction cups should keep it in place.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

10. Back To Top    #10

I have the same ladder. You can add standard sidewalk pavers in the pockets in the back. I have four in mine. No floating here.
    12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Hadn't thought of the pavers. What do you use to prevent them from sliding out?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by askinstuff View Post
    Hadn't thought of the pavers. What do you use to prevent them from sliding out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perhaps, the "pockets" in back are made for this purpose. I have a brick in my pool and once it is in, it stays in place. Pavers probably just stay put.

13. Back To Top    #13

The pockets in the back are perfectly sized for pavers and in the instruction sheet it mentions pavers can be used to prevent floating.
    12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

14. Back To Top    #14

I can't find the instruction manual and I don't see where the make our model is. Do ant of you know what it is?. Here's a pic of the back of the steps

15. Back To Top    #15

Pavers worked. Thx