Pool blues (not the water)

Budule

Jul 6, 2015
Charleston , WV
Pool was green about 20 days ago , wife (shes in charge , or was...) got it to cloudy with the usual shock on top of pucks to no avail , went to pool store and tested water , they said it was ok ....she gave up , gave it to me and I came here ...started a "slam" but had no test kit (strips ) so basically bleached the heck out of it and it cleared up ....BUT , I still see a green "cloud" when I push a broom across the bottom ....TODAY , the Taylor k2006 can im so I tested and got this ....(oh , pool store water analysis had the cya at like 82 I think so I drained a big chunk out and refilled) but now im at ..

FC (6 drops) so 3 I guess

CC (I drop ) .5 ? ( maybe less as it was REALLY light to start with)

PH 7.4

AL 90

CAL 80

CYA ??? this test was iffy for me as the black dot thingy was kinda gone around 45 but might be 55 ...so not sure...

already put 2 gallons of 8.25 in tonite and have been vacuuming but cant seem to shake that green powder ( which you cant really see unless you broom it )

Welcome to TFP.:wave:

Are you sure the dust that you are brushing isn't pollen instead of algae?

I would do an "Over Night Loss Test" to see if it's algae. If you lose less than 1ppm of chorine then it may be pollen.

- - - Updated - - -

How's the water look now? Cloudy, green, or clear?

Post a pic if you can.

It looks really good , clear , it may be pollen but when I wash out my paper filter and back wash my sand filter ( just got a new sand filter this year but while trying to clear water I hooked up the intex one too , its a good little pump really) its pretty green so I assumed algae...I try and keep it stirred with the broom in-between vacuuming...

You have to realize that algae reproduce pretty fast so you have to get that FC up over the kill level and KEEP it there to break the reproduction cycle and kill everything off. It isn't a one time dose.

Then as it dies off your filter can take over to clear it. What kind of filter do you have?

You can't easily perform a SLAM without an accurate test kit. Do you have one?

I would bring it to SLAM level tonight. Retest 30 min after adding chlorine and test FC level in the morning before the sun hits the pool to see how much your losing during the night.

You may need to use skimmer socks to filter out the remaining dust/dead algae.

We have had some major storms the last month and the pollen and debris in the pool has been horrible. My sand filter can't filter that small of particals and needs a little help. I have to keep skimmer socks and run the pump 24/7.

perfect getting the K2006, so here ya go

try doing the CYA test pouring the solution back and forth and see if you can get a better read on what it is, or you can go with 50 and just use that..

with a CYA of 50 and FC of 3 you need to SLAM, bring your FC up to 22 and keep it above 20 until you pass the OCLT

Your PH is good, if you want to you can take it down to 7.2 before you start, after your FC is above 10, PH is off and you don't need to test ph until after SLAM is complete.

It will take some time to get rid of your algae, how much time will depend and every pool is differant

after you are done with the SLAM you should never let your FC get below 5

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.