New Pool--What Chemistry to Adjust First. First Time Pool Owner

Jul 15, 2015
Ruby, MI
I've learned a lot reading through the TFP site, but I want to ask before putting chemicals in my new pool. Here's the story:

A friend gave me his 28-foot round AG pool. All I had to do was take it down, move it, buy a new liner, ... .... .

I've got the pool up and filled with trucked-in water (city drinking water). The water looks crystal clear. I bought a Taylor K-2006 test kit as suggested by many here. I didn't want the pool to go without any chlorine while I waited for my kit to arrive, so I dumped in 1 gallon of liquid chlorine. In hindsight, I am not sure if this was a good idea. My test kit is now here, and here are my results 2 days after the pool was filled:
  • Free chlorine: 0 ppm
  • Combined chlorine: 0 ppm
  • pH: 7.5 (I am estimating that since it appears to my eye to be between the color for 7.4 and 7.6)
  • Total alkalinity: 80 ppm (the Taylor directions say this is "as calcium carbonate"--I am not sure if that's important)
  • Calcium hardness: 70 ppm (the Taylor directions say this is "as calcium carbonate"--I am not sure if that's important)
  • Cyanuric acid: 0

I know I need to adjust the TA, CH, and CYA, and then look up how much FC to try to get. However, I am not sure what order I should do all this. Can I use the PoolMath calculator and adjust all of them together, or do I need to do it one parameter at a time?

Go easy on me, please--I am a first time pool owner. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP.

I would add CYA in a sock to get to your desired level (see pool math link above) and add chlorine (liquid preferably) to get to your desired FC for targeted CYA.

I think it's that simple. But do all of that fast.........you do want chlorine in there.

Your PH and your TA look fine. I'd be focusing on chlorine and stabilizer (CYA)

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool! Nice first post!

CH is not important in a vinyl pool as long as it isn't way high.
TA is OK for now. If your PH stays stable over the next few weeks then leave TA where it is.

It is very important to keep chlorine at target level for your CYA at all times, Chlorine CYA Chart. Never let it drop below minimum or your pool will be unsanitary and algae will grow. Add 30ppm CYA in a sock and chlorinate your pool accordingly.

It is also important to keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8.

Some good reading to cover the basics
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.