Chlorine help

Jul 15, 2015
Katy, TX
I have a salt pool. I was having trouble getting chlorine to stay in the pool. Took the water tested. I was low on cynauric acid. I have added 4 lbs twice. And my count just got to 60 ppm today. So the salt cell hasn't been able to keep up with the chlorine demand. So I was adding liquid chlorine to get the level up. But even with the cynauric acid finally at 60 ppm I still can't keep chlorine in the pool. The chlorine was at a 4 this morning and this afternoon 0.2. Anyone have an idea what could possibly be going on. Why I can't keep Chlorine in the pool.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Sorry to say it sounds like something organic is in the pool consuming your chlorine. How's the water look? Do you have a full set of test results from one of the recommended test kits mentioned in Pool School (upper right side of this page)??

Other potential problems could be too much CYA for the amount of chlorine used.

Tell us about your pool and equipment, and what else has been done? Keep up supplementing your SWG with liquid chlorine

Hayward pump and hayward cartdridge filter. Hayward gold line salt chlorinator. Phosphates are down to 200. Phos free was added to bring that down to where it is. Pool place said that Cynauric acid was good. That it should be between 60 and 99 ppm. What is SWG?

Welcome to TFP!

Those are all classic signs of algae growing in the pool. You will need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool to get rid of the algae. We had some algae in our pool a few weeks ago because I let FC drop too low. We raised FC to 25-28 for our 70 CYA for about a week and a half and brushed at least once per day. We swam every day during the SLAM. It is safe to swim when Fzc is between minimum and shock level.

Hayward pump and hayward cartdridge filter. Hayward gold line salt chlorinator. Phosphates are down to 200. Phos free was added to bring that down to where it is. Pool place said that Cynauric acid was good. That it should be between 60 and 99 ppm. What is SWG?

SWG stands for Salt Water Generator...you do have the appropriate amount of salt in your pool, right? If not, the SWG cannot produce chlorine.

You really need to invest in a good test kit and since you are running a salt water pool you need to get the test kit to properly test for salt levels as well...test strips aren't gonna cut it. If your water is going cloudy / green whenever your FC drops then yes, you have algae in the pool and the chlorine is simply keeping it at bay but not strong enough to actually kill it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.