Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine help

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine help

I have a salt pool. I was having trouble getting chlorine to stay in the pool. Took the water tested. I was low on cynauric acid. I have added 4 lbs twice. And my count just got to 60 ppm today. So the salt cell hasn't been able to keep up with the chlorine demand. So I was adding liquid chlorine to get the level up. But even with the cynauric acid finally at 60 ppm I still can't keep chlorine in the pool. The chlorine was at a 4 this morning and this afternoon 0.2. Anyone have an idea what could possibly be going on. Why I can't keep Chlorine in the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine help

Sorry to say it sounds like something organic is in the pool consuming your chlorine. How's the water look? Do you have a full set of test results from one of the recommended test kits mentioned in Pool School (upper right side of this page)??

Other potential problems could be too much CYA for the amount of chlorine used.

Tell us about your pool and equipment, and what else has been done? Keep up supplementing your SWG with liquid chlorine
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward pump and hayward cartdridge filter. Hayward gold line salt chlorinator. Phosphates are down to 200. Phos free was added to bring that down to where it is. Pool place said that Cynauric acid was good. That it should be between 60 and 99 ppm. What is SWG?

4. Back To Top    #4

Water looks good when there is chlorine in the pool. But it doesn’t take long once the chlorine is gone to start getting a dull look to it. Almost like it has a green tinge to it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Those are all classic signs of algae growing in the pool. You will need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool to get rid of the algae. We had some algae in our pool a few weeks ago because I let FC drop too low. We raised FC to 25-28 for our 70 CYA for about a week and a half and brushed at least once per day. We swam every day during the SLAM. It is safe to swim when Fzc is between minimum and shock level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jchedotal View Post
    Hayward pump and hayward cartdridge filter. Hayward gold line salt chlorinator. Phosphates are down to 200. Phos free was added to bring that down to where it is. Pool place said that Cynauric acid was good. That it should be between 60 and 99 ppm. What is SWG?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    SWG stands for Salt Water Generator...you do have the appropriate amount of salt in your pool, right? If not, the SWG cannot produce chlorine.

You really need to invest in a good test kit and since you are running a salt water pool you need to get the test kit to properly test for salt levels as well...test strips aren't gonna cut it. If your water is going cloudy / green whenever your FC drops then yes, you have algae in the pool and the chlorine is simply keeping it at bay but not strong enough to actually kill it.
    Polar Pools, 19' x 39' Vinyl Lined IG, 3' to 9' deep, 33,300 Gallons?
    Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Sand Filter Model # S244T, Compupool SWG, Heliocol Solar Heating
    K-2006 test kit, 1766 Salt Test Kit , Taylor SpeedStir
    Built in 2009, Salt Lake City, UT.