Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting rid of copper in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting rid of copper in pool

Hi,

I've been lurking here and have found this very useful. I've got my chemicals mostly balanced - still having a little problem with chlorine, but I'm working on it. A few days ago however we got brilliant and added an algaecide to the pool (purchased at Sam's) because we had growing algae. I know, I know. Anyway, the algaecide killed the algae - so now the pool is bright, crystal clear... emerald green. The water went green. There's no algae, but this green color.

I've read enough to suspect this is copper. So my question, which I can't seem to find anywhere - how do you get rid of copper from the pool? (BTW I added chlorine the day after we added algaecide, as chlorine levels were low.)

I know, not a lot to go on, but is this a "wait until it filters out" (don't think so), "drain the pool" (hope not), or "add _X_ chemical [sequestrant? chleating? dumb here] and vacuum" (hope so!)

Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting rid of copper in pool

BTW 30,000 gal in-ground pool. not salt.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would recommend following the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain process first and after the water is cleared and you pass the SLAM criteria we can work on metals if needed.

Adding your pool info to your signature will help us help you, more here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi, welcome to TFP! Well, the bad news is you can't get rid of it unless you drain and refill the pool. You can treat it with a good sequestrant, but you will need to continue to add sequestrant weekly until the water is changed out.

Algaecide is really a preventative, not a cure. Kind of like a weak vaccine. Copper based algaecide works at killing algae, but it this case the "cure" is worse than the "disease". Untreated the water will remain green and will stain the pool surface over time. If you are ever again tempted to add pool store chemicals to the pool be sure and read the label for active ingredients first. You should only use polyquat 60 based algaecide, and then only as a preventative like when you close the pool for the winter.

This is one of the few times we will ask for a pool store test. Have them test for copper and report the result here.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!