Best way to use the Taylor k 2006 pH test?

wisco

Jun 18, 2015
Newburgh, IN
Is there a better/best method for using the comparator in the k2006 kit? I ask because since I got the kit I've been testing every morning and I'm wondering about the differences in morning light's effect on the test. For the past few weeks I've thought I've seen the pH rise slowly from to 7.8/7.9 but when I tested today on a rather bright morning compared to the last few weeks, it seemed a solid 7.6. I've moved the test around at eye level, facing the sun, facing away from the sun, moving under an awning, moving out from it. Truth is just not sure what the best way to perform that test is. Any advice that doesn't involve buying one of the Gepe lights I see in the Taylor videos? ;)

I do my testing at the patio table where there's good light. I have some cheap white plastic resin chairs sitting across the table and I hold the test block out at arm's length with a white chair as the background. With practice, you will be able to discern pH to within .1, which is plenty good for pool use.

Or you can hold the test up to the bright blue sky ... you would still be looking for a color match. Use of the acid demand reagent can help you see the different colors.

I think consistent lighting conditions outweigh the numerical value. That being said, I find the natural sunlight against a white background while facing north gives me .1 or on a bad day .2 lower than in my kitchen under the brightest flourescent lights I have.

There was a piece of paper (checklist I think) that came with my TF-100 kit a few years ago. I use that as a background and head to my east facing sliding glass door and check there. If all else fails or I can't discern, I hand it to my wife and daughter and get their opinions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't worry. Maybe its my eyes or my brain. Some people are better with subtle color shade differences.

One thing that helps me is to block out the color choices above and below. They tend to confuse me. Then when I look at the sample and one single standard, its easier to say whether its above or below that standard shade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.