Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to use the Taylor k 2006 pH test?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to use the Taylor k 2006 pH test?

Is there a better/best method for using the comparator in the k2006 kit? I ask because since I got the kit I've been testing every morning and I'm wondering about the differences in morning light's effect on the test. For the past few weeks I've thought I've seen the pH rise slowly from to 7.8/7.9 but when I tested today on a rather bright morning compared to the last few weeks, it seemed a solid 7.6. I've moved the test around at eye level, facing the sun, facing away from the sun, moving under an awning, moving out from it. Truth is just not sure what the best way to perform that test is. Any advice that doesn't involve buying one of the Gepe lights I see in the Taylor videos?
    18' x 36' 26,000 gal. , IG vinyl liner, Hayward Sand S244T filter, Hayward 1.5hp pump, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Supreme, Taylor k2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to use the Taylor k 2006 pH test?

Hold it up against a white background.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I do my testing at the patio table where there's good light. I have some cheap white plastic resin chairs sitting across the table and I hold the test block out at arm's length with a white chair as the background. With practice, you will be able to discern pH to within .1, which is plenty good for pool use.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Or you can hold the test up to the bright blue sky ... you would still be looking for a color match. Use of the acid demand reagent can help you see the different colors.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tips. I'll try both of those.
    18' x 36' 26,000 gal. , IG vinyl liner, Hayward Sand S244T filter, Hayward 1.5hp pump, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Supreme, Taylor k2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Best way to use the Taylor k 2006 pH test?

I do my testing in the pump house and have a 4ft fluorescent fixture that I changed bulbs to "daylight" color something around 5000k. It helped me a lot. And a speedstir!!

Knj
    26700 gal, vinyl, SWG, Hayward Goldline controls, T-15 Cell, 20gpm/ft2 sand filter, 1 hp pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I really hate matching colors, too.... and sometimes use some of the acid or base demand reagents to double check my results (one of the benefits of the Taylor kit). This link may help

8. Back To Top    #8

I think consistent lighting conditions outweigh the numerical value. That being said, I find the natural sunlight against a white background while facing north gives me .1 or on a bad day .2 lower than in my kitchen under the brightest flourescent lights I have.
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs

9. Back To Top    #9

There was a piece of paper (checklist I think) that came with my TF-100 kit a few years ago. I use that as a background and head to my east facing sliding glass door and check there. If all else fails or I can't discern, I hand it to my wife and daughter and get their opinions.
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN

10. Back To Top    #10

My kit is still on order, but I don't know when I'll be able to regularly test during the day. The suggestion for natural light worries me. I wish I'd have ordered some of the known value test solutions, and may still.
    18,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool, built circa 1965
    single speed pump and booster (old, probably mid-1990's), driving System 3 cartridge filter, old Polaris crawler, and rooftop solar.
    TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Don't worry. Maybe its my eyes or my brain. Some people are better with subtle color shade differences.

One thing that helps me is to block out the color choices above and below. They tend to confuse me. Then when I look at the sample and one single standard, its easier to say whether its above or below that standard shade.
    29,085.1 gal inground grecian vinyl, Hayward Super Pump VS, Hayward S-240 sand filter, Dolphin Nautilus Plus (aka Agador Spartacus), Taylor K-2006 kit, nice pool brush, crappy leaf net, frogs