First time poster, first time pool owner, with questions

rlw9

Jul 14, 2015
Cypress, TX
I've read through most of the information in Pool School, some of it multiple times, and I want to see if I've got this right. I've never owned anything more than a kiddie pool, so a lot of this information is Greek to me. We're starting small, with a ProSeries 14x42. I'm in the process of leveling and hope to get the pool set up soon.

Here are my questions:
1) After the pool is filled, I test the water and make any corrections/adjustments to the various levels, correct?

2) Despite my warnings, my hubby went to Leslie Pools and bought some items they recommended. Some things we can use, but some I'm not so sure of. 3" chlorine tabs, I think I can use, but what about these: Chlor-Brite sanitizer (99% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate) and something called Leslie's Perfect Weekly, made by Natural Chemistry (cleans water, removes phosphates, blah, blah. no actual ingredient list). From my reading and what little my brain has absorbed, I'm pretty sure I don't need or want the Perfect Weekly. Does anyone know what this stuff is or if it does what it says? I did a little googling, but didn't find much. I'm thinking of taking it back and exchanging it for a decent test kit, instead of the strips the hubby bought.

3) The pool is at our bay house, which we visit every 2-3 days, staying for 2-3 days. I go as often as my work schedule allows. :D It's possible we could be away for 7-8 days at a time, but that doesn't happen often. Due to the fact I won't be testing and adjusting every day, I was thinking I'd use bleach + the chlorine tabs. Is this a good idea or not?

Thanks for reading and for any info you can share.

Welcome. The Pool perfect is nothing more than a natural enzyme product and yours obviously has a phosphate remover built in. Neither of which is required. Take it back, get a refund, and order one of our recommended test kits in Pool School.

I'm new also and luckily don't have a pool store except and hour away., lol I got the TF -100 pool kit and love it. It is so much easier using simple things and using advice form here. I can get the results and make changes easily right away with the basic chemicals like bleach and muriatic acid and Cyauranic acid (?sp) CYA from Walmart. My sister in law spent $200/mo on pool chemicals using a pool store and that was 17 yr ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.