Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Run Times?

1. Back To Top    #1

San Diego, CA

Pump Run Times?

Hi, I am running an intelliflo VS pump and wonder if it is better to run one long run (10 hours straight) vs 2 shorter ones (5 hours in am / 5 hours at night) or does it not make a difference?
    Since I am using intellichem system which automates control of chlorinator and acid injection, I'm thinking it might be better to run shorter runs more frequently to maintain constant chlorine and pH levels.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Pump Run Times?

Start here: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

10 hours is probably way more than you need but your SWG may dictate how short you can actually run.

But split run time should only really matter for skimming because you should never allow FC to get so low that you have to run the pump to just redistribute the remaining chlorine in the pool. That just means you did not put enough in to start.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner