Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice needed after few days filling up and stopping

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice needed after few days filling up and stopping

Took a few days to fill up the pool about approx 10k. I had to stop a 1-2 day so I can install the hayward skimmer. Found out the kids jump in the pool while I was working that afternoon and by the time I got home it was too late to do anything (testing+chemical). I have an intex Chlorinator and have the bags of salt ready to add. Can I continue the process which is add salt, run sandfilter pump 24hrs and then run the salt Chlorinator in boost mode?

Should I add the chlorine and stabylizer first or after I complete the salt water process. I do have the taylor test kit. The water looks clear.

Any help is appreciated as time is not on my side and i'm heading home soon before I need to pick up my 1yr which won't give me any free time until 11pm.
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice needed after few days filling up and stopping

Hello Las Vegas! New water needs stabilizer ASAP - especially in your area. . So definitely get stabilizer in there right away to protect your chlorine. SWG systems ideally run with a CYA level of 70-80. You can add the salt and get the SWG prepared to operate, but in the meantime you may need to manually add some liquid bleach to increase your FC to a reasonable level. I'd say keep your FC at about 3-5 ppm for now until things get going. Also make sure your PH is between 7.2-7.8 for everyone's skin and eyes.

That's the initial stuff for now. You'll receive more input later from other members. Have a great "cool" Vegas day.

- - - Updated - - -

The Poolmath calculator Poolmath calculator can assist you with specific amounts of chemicals to add.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

CYA and chlorine NOW please. They can be done at the same time.

CYA in a sock hanging over the side in front of the return.

Chlorine added to fit the CYA/FC chart as if your CYA is already in there at your targeted level. Here is a great chart to help you know what your levels should be.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

When you can check your levels and post them up so we can get the water balanced for those kids!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank You. I will get CYA/Chrlorine ASAP.

For CYA i'm getting it from walmart and it's HTH stabilizer and conditioner. Is that ok?

Can I also do the salt at the same time or should I wait?
    --------
    Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame - approx 10,000 gallons of water
    Intex Sand Filter pump (8hrs Run Time)
    Krystal Clear Saltwater Model 7110/8110 (6hr run time/day)
    K-2006 TEST KIT

5. Back To Top    #5

I would suggest you check-out this page quickly as it speaks specifically about SWGs: Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!