Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adjusting PH and TA. Which First?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adjusting PH and TA. Which First?

My FC is 1, and I just added 110oz of bleach per the pool calculator to get it to 4. I'll retest in a couple hours.

PH is at 8, and TA is 70.

So, if I understand, adding baking soda to increase TA will also increase PH. So which level should I adjust first? Increase TA (and by default increase PH), then adjust the PH down tomorrow?

I'm still learning the effect each of these levels have on the other. Thanks for the help.
    18,000 gallons
    In-ground
    Gunite
    Chlorine
    DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adjusting PH and TA. Which First?

Why do you THINK you need to raise TA? I'd get the PH down to 7.4 first even in case you don't!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just fix the pH and be done with it.

If you target 7.5 pH, poolmath only says to add 18 oz of Muriatic Acid.

Scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and see what 18 oz of MA does...TA will reduce by 3.9. You probably won't even be able to see the difference in TA when you test again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A TA of 70 is not a problem. In fact, I wish mine were that low.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Just to correct a mistake, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is used to raise alkalinity without raising the pH. The pH rise due to baking soda is minuscule. You use WASHING soda (sodium carbonate) to raise pH and TA at the same time.

So you can adjust your pH down with Muriatic acid and then, if your TA is lower than you'd like, you can raise it by adding baking soda.

But, as others have said, your TA is fine.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, thanks! I'll just work on getting the FC up to 5 or so and the PH down to 7.4.

I just read on the pool calculator that adding baking soda will also increase PH, and I didn't want to make the issue worse.

I was thinking TA was best between 80-120 based on something I got from the pool store.

Thanks again!
    18,000 gallons
    In-ground
    Gunite
    Chlorine
    DE Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by TRT77 View Post
    Ok, thanks! I'll just work on getting the FC up to 5 or so and the PH down to 7.4.

I just read on the pool calculator that adding baking soda will also increase PH, and I didn't want to make the issue worse.

I was thinking TA was best between 80-120 based on something I got from the pool store.

Thanks again!
    Baking soda does raise pH but by a very small amount.

You can use PoolMath to see the Effects of Adding Chemicals. So if I add 96oz (6lbs) of baking soda to my 16000 gallon pool, my TA goes up by 27ppm but my pH only goes up by 0.05 units. That much pH rise is indistinguishable on a color comparator test.

I won't be the last person to say this - ignore the pool store advice.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates