Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Earth or Sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Earth or Sand filter

We are purchasing our first above ground pool. What are the differences between an Earth filter and a sand filter? Is one better than the other?

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Earth or Sand filter

They each have their pros and cons. The Diatomaceous Earth (DE) filter is supposed to filter finer material than a sand filter, but it requires adding DE after each backwash and it requires a complete teardown once a year. It also clogs a lot quicker and requires a lot more cleaning if opening a green pool. A sand filter is the easiest to maintain, but wastes a good bit of water when you have to backwash.

Having said that, lots of people here have sand filters (myself included) and their water is perfectly clear and very sparkly. Besides, you can add a cup of DE to a sand filter if you wish.

Personally, if something ever happens to my sand filter where I have to replace it, I'm going with a 200 sqft cartridge filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

You picked the two extremes, sand and DE. DE = finest filtration, but most maintainence. Sand = least fine filtration, least maintainence. Cartridge is between on both counts. I suggest you read the article comparing them:
    Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a sand filter and love it. I get enough rain in Florida that I do not have to raise the level after backwashing. I typically use backwashing to drop the level in the pool. My sand filter just works with minimal attention from me. It is my longest lasting Intex equipment.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

Sand is the most convenient. The pool given proper care, sand js quite adequate and should you ever need out of ordinary measures, it makes it easier.
    Just buy a proper size.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

All three types of filter have their advantages and disadvantages. There is no best type. It depends on your situation and what your priorities are.... Fine filtration, easy maintainence, less water wasted.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit