Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Type of Chlorine to use for SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Arrow Type of Chlorine to use for SLAM

I understand that liquid chlorine is the best but what would be the 2'nd, 3'rd choices to use? Since my bulk chlorine supplier is out of business, I am wondering what the next few options are. Reading up on some older posts, I am leaning towards Lithium Hypo. I have really hard water and I don't want to add calcium. As an example, I see Leslie's has a bucket of 24 packs for $130.

"Lithium Hypochlorite provides 35% available chlorine. Lithium does not cloud water, and it does not build up to cause scale. It is very fast dissolving. It can be added directly to any pool including vinyl-liner, fiberglass, painted or colored-plastered pools. Comes in 24, 1-lb. packages."

Crystal 14470 Shock Lithium Hypochloride, 24 Pack
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Type of Chlorine to use for SLAM

That lithium is awful high dollar to SLAM with.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

ok, so your supplier is out of business. why not just go to Walmart and buy the bleach then???
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

I know Atwood's (and maybe even Tractor Supply) has pool chemicals -- and I'm talking 10% bleach for 2/3 the price of 8.25% at Walmart. Are there any "farm & ranch" stores nearby you could check out?

If all else fails, Great Value bleach from Walmart worked fine for my SLAM. It just took more of it...
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

5. Back To Top    #5

Trust me, I have hauled my share of cases...

Due to my very hard water, what's the next best option beside liquid?
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

6. Back To Top    #6

Honestly, all the common dry chlorines are going to raise CYA or calcium. There is mono-sodium persulfate (MSP) but I don't know if the cost will be any better. Other than a complete water change, liquid chlorine is the only cost effective way to slam the pool. Everything else is going to raise CH or CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Lithium hypochlorite would be closest to chlorinating liquid or bleach in that it does not raise CYA nor CH, but of course it's quite expensive.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, $130 for 24 pounds is like paying $10 for a single 121oz jug of 8.25% bleach.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator