Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radioactive nightmare..

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Radioactive nightmare..

My pool has turned into something from science fiction. A portal for something foreign to into another dimension. I returned from out of town late last night and check the pool this morning and found this nightmare. My husband *claims* he tended the pool as i asked. Trying to give the benefit of the doubt but when you see this thing you will wonder as well. I have a cheapo test kit while Im waiting to get fancier one. My question for now is do I turn the pump off and let it rest while I hem up my toddler to take readings or just let it run? Attaching a pic as soon as I figure out how. Puhleaaase help meh!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok i attached pic but I'm not seeing it so someone let me know if you can see it? Said it was being stored?
    AG summer escapes 15x4.5..5900 gal
    Sfx1000 pump with replaceable cartridges

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Radioactive nightmare..

No picture yet, i added several today with no problem...... hopefully you will figure it out
    12,500 In Ground Gunite Free Form, 1 Skimmer 4 Returns
    Screened enclosure, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Sta-Rite 1hp Pump
    Pentair 100SF Reusable Filter
    Haywood Cl100 Auto Chlorine Feeder (currently disabled)

3. Back To Top    #3

Please upload the pic to photobucket.com then select the IMG link to post here. I really want to see this pool pic, your description is awesome!
    24,000 gal in ground, Gunite, Sand filter, Hayward 140,000 btu heat pump, Pentair Superflow VS, Polaris pool sweep, TF-100 test kit w/speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Attachment 39942

- - - Updated - - -

Did it work that time? Please say yes? I need to keep the portal closed!!!

- - - Updated - - -

So do I turn the pump off? I hope because I did. But I can turn it back on. Headed to get new filters and eye of newt to repel spirits.

5. Back To Top    #5

The picture is not showing up.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

IMG_20150715_133441352.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It is showing on my end.

7. Back To Top    #7

ewww...pretty!

turn your pump back on and get bleach in there asap. do you have one of the recommended test kits? how have you been chlorinating?? check your pH first.

the solution is easy, you are going to have to SLAM your pool. go and read up on it in pool school. since your pool is only 4,000 gallons, you can drain most the water and refill. you will still need to SLAM though to get the remaining algae, but it would go quicker.

you will need one of the test kits to SLAM
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

picture is showing up
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Ohh. That's a pretty shade of green. Reminds me of homer's test tube. homer-simpson-300.jpg
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Dan! I have a kit that will work while I'm waiting for the fancy test kit. Turn the pump on without a filter? I am getting numbers now. Which are the main ones you need? I just have a 6 way tester for the current moment.

- - - Updated - - -

12. Back To Top    #12

your test kit wont work for the SLAM, read up on it. if you have the 6 way tester you cant get FC (free chlorine), let alone levels above 5 which are required. you also have to know your CYA, and those are not accurate tests.

honestly for 4,000 gallon pool I think the best course of action would be to drain the pool, scrub, and refill. and then do a mini SLAM to get anything left behind. for that amount of water, it might be cheaper anyway. how much you pay for water per 1,000 gallons??

I would do that, order your test kit (would be there in 2 days) and re-start based on the TFT methods for doing the pool.

which "fancy" test kit did you order??

EDIT: if your pool is 4 feet deep of water, that works out to 5,200 gallons by the way.
    Dan

13. Back To Top    #13

FC
    CC
    PH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Please turn your pump on as well. Once you post numbers, help will be on the way!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

14. Back To Top    #14

The 6-way test is all I every use, but you cannot properly follow the SLAM process. It may sound hypocritical when I say people should get the good test kit but I do for most people because they will get more assistance. People here that help others prefer the precise, methodical approach that TFPC offers because it takes out the guessing and it always works. In pools under 5K gallons, I don't think the recommended test kits are a good value, however, you have to put a price on how much more help you get when you have a better kit.

For now, give us the test numbers from your 6-way kit.
    Last edited by DanielP; 07-15-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: more info from op
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok I will turn it back on. With or without filter? I am also getting numbers but only have 6 way test kit at this minute. Just needing to know how much bleach. Read pool math link and almost passed out. This is Greek to me!

- - - Updated - - -

I have been putting in 1" chlorine tabs into skimmer basket but when I went out of town I put them in a floater. I have had a sparkly clear pool until now. From following other posts, I have maintained it until this. Had cya in it and the levels were all good.

16. Back To Top    #16

Why do I have The Ghostbusters theme song in my head....

Listen to the advice here and you'll be fine.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

17. Back To Top    #17

See I told you I'm horrible with math. I will edit my signature with correct amount of water.

18. Back To Top    #18

Hi, welcome to TFP! Before we hang hubby out to dry we need to know what you were using to chlorinate your pool. You can run the pump without the filter in place if there is no debris floating in the pool so you can mix the bleach into the water. It won't be filtering anything but it will allow you to get some circulation going. Do you have a 6 way strip or a 6 way drop kit? A 6 way drop kit will let you run a test or two to get you started until your new kit comes. Right now the two most important numbers are your CYA/stabilizer and your FC (free chlorine). Once you post some test numbers we can explain how to use the poolmath page.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

This thread needs more:

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

20. Back To Top    #20

Brandy you poor thing Hugs and a shoulder to cry on for what you came home to.

Dear you just need to drain that pool and start over. It is going to take longer and LOTS more money to overcome that glowing green swamp. It is kind of pretty though LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast