Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking to verify my thoughts on cya / fc

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking to verify my thoughts on cya / fc

Hello all,

Thanks to this site I think I now have a good understanding of my pool. I say "I think" because just when I think I've fully grappled it I learn something new here.

Anyway, want I want to verify:

1) As I live in hot/sunny Austin, Tx and my pool gets 8+ hours of direct sun I'm thinking that I want to raise CYA to 60 (and toying with the idea of even 70-80). The result being a minimum FC loss over 24 hrs.

2) My understanding is that FC level above the top range for a given CYA level is burned off more quickly, correct?

I understand that normal FC loss is going to be ~3ppm / day in the summer unless I get a cover (I'm seeing good justification for it).

Thanks in advance!

p.s. - latest pool readings
    FC 4.0 (just added 8.25% bleach this AM to get it to this #)
    CC 0
    pH 7.5
    CH 140
    CYA ~30. I'm going to raise this today
    TA 70
    Anthony Sylvan 17k gal free form IG Gunite. 3' - 6'. Waterway SVL56 Pump. Pentair FNSP 48 (sq ') DE Filter (2013). Polaris 280 sweep w/Polaris PB4 booster. 2 skimmer intakes and 2 deep-end intakes. 4 returns. Pool Installed 2010. Filled from city water (Austin, TX - CH 50ppm. pH 9.0). Taylor k-2006 test kit. Currently running the pump 6 hrs / day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking to verify my thoughts on cya / fc

Looks like you're doing great learning about your pool. I'd stop at 60 CYA and see how that works out for now, it's easier to add more later. I would also recommend adjusting FC in the evening so the chlorine is higher for a longer time because the sun isn't killing it off.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes,
    your thoughts are right on target for both points. I would agree with DanielP, to first target 60 and see how that suits you. It might be just fine.
    TFP goal is to help folks Understand what is happening and why. I see no problem with you proceeding as your plan lays it out.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok that sounds like a good plan (target 60 and go from there). And thanks for stating what should have been obvious to me - "add chlorine in the evening".

I sure appreciate the help.

Vince
    Anthony Sylvan 17k gal free form IG Gunite. 3' - 6'. Waterway SVL56 Pump. Pentair FNSP 48 (sq ') DE Filter (2013). Polaris 280 sweep w/Polaris PB4 booster. 2 skimmer intakes and 2 deep-end intakes. 4 returns. Pool Installed 2010. Filled from city water (Austin, TX - CH 50ppm. pH 9.0). Taylor k-2006 test kit. Currently running the pump 6 hrs / day.