Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Total Chlorine Limit

1. Back To Top    #1

Daytona Beach, FL

Total Chlorine Limit

How high should I let the Total Chlorine level get before I do something about it?
    Should I do something about it when it reaches a certain level?
    What should I do in that case to lower the Total Chlorine Level?
    10K in-ground, plaster pool using chlorine (liquid and Cal Hypo), just added Borax to 50ppm.
    1.5hp pump with cartridge filter and five groups of pop-up floor cleaners.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Total Chlorine Limit

If your chlorine is high, just letting it open and allowing the sun to get to it will help it lower itself naturally over a couple of days. Just don't add any more on those days. You also need to recognize that FC is good, CC's are bad. So the Total Chlorine amount is not of use to you in caring for your pool.
    Your chlorine level should be based on your CYA level. Higher CYA requires higher FC, but there are practical limits to it. You want enough of each to allow for some FC loss so that *after* the chlorine is naturally used up (sun, bather load, etc) your FC level still remains over the minimum amount desired for your CYA level. You don't want to waste money adding more "extra" chlorine than the pool needs or will use

Here is the link to the CYA/Chlorine chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter