Jun 19, 2007
Milton Wisconsin
I am in over my head.
What would you do with this?

The good:
Holds water and surface is in relatively good shape
Pump, filter, and salt water system in good shape

The bad:
Concrete and coping are in very poor shape.
Plumbing all leaks.

I will likely need to tear out the existing deck/coping - replace the plumbing with 2" or better (existing is 1.5). Install a new deck/coping.
Any recommended concrete help in south central WI?

20150707_072254.jpg
20150714_174217.jpg

If you have the funds, you can demo the deck and put new liner coping on it.

If not, the a renovation of the deck might be a option. Really cant tell by the pic, but is the concrete very uneven from the ground heaving it where its cracked?
A good power washing with a flat surface cleaner attachment will do miracles, then the cracks can be filled. It may surprise you good it would probably look.

The aluminum liner coping could be repainted. Granted it wouldnt look new... but the the only other option is demo the deck and replace it.
And the new liner would top it all off.

When you mention the plumbing leaks, is it leaking UNDER the concrete?

you know the decking doesn't look too bad. to refresh it you could do as Dave mentioned to clean it up and seal cracks...and then use a pool deck paint/finisher on it to make it look nice. I think you probably will need new liner coping as well.

please elaborate on "plumbing leaks"

that pool has a lot of potential. of course in your "con" list you didn't mention needing a new liner. is the liner still good??

Plumbing leaks under the concrete :/
All of the pipes tested - 3 returns and 2 skimmers - all leak under pressure bad enough it isnt effective to run.
Bottom drain is hopeless.

The pics dont show it well but yes the concrete is heaving and cracked pretty badly. Even if I dont replace the deck the coping is in really rough shape.

The surface of the pool really isnt as bad as it looks - thats mostly algae from when I drained it to get a better look at stuff.
It should clean up pretty well.

More pics.
https://goo.gl/photos/fzbByUnocAUA7ECK8

I would focus on getting the pool itself in order. the decking, while it looks bad, is a separate issue. most critical is getting the plumbing corrected. get the pool up and running and you can tackle the decking next year. I would just pressure wash it for now to make it look better. leaking plumbing is a bigger issue

do you know exactly where the plumbing is? if so, you could do the following yourself

demo the deck in those areas
run new 2 inch plumbing
plug the main drain (most pools do not have them anymore)
clean inside the pool and get ready for new liner
install new liner and get pool up and running

deal with the deck at a later time

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some of it - not all unfortunately. The skimmers are close to the pump and fairly easy to follow. The returns are not so easy.

Main drain is already plugged - but how do you keep the bottom circulating with such a deep pool without a main drain? Maybe this is a dumb question but I cant figure it out.

Main drains are less essential than you would suspect. Many pools installed now do not have main drains. They are nice if you need to drain the pool but don't really help that much with circulation and water movement. If you have one return aimed down into the deep end, that is usually enough. I have 3 returns on my pool (2 at the ends, one on the side). My end returns push out across the surface to attempt to create counter-clockwise surface action and the side return is pointed into the deep end. I do have a main drain but I have a 3-way valve diverting most suction to my returns, just a bit more than a trickle to pulling at the main drain.

Update.

I found a company that will place bracing - tear out the deck - replace the deck with concrete and a new cantilever coping.

I still need to address the plumbing once the deck is pulled out and have some questions.

What skimmers are best now that I have the opportunity to change them? Should I try to find the same ones or are there better options?
Is 2 inch piping OK? Currently 1.5" Flexible or rigid? Where do I get eyeballs and parts?

What skimmers are best now that I have the opportunity to change them? Should I try to find the same ones or are there better options?
Is 2 inch piping OK? Currently 1.5" Flexible or rigid? Where do I get eyeballs and parts?
Go to Midwest Pool Supply in Middleton for your pool specific parts. Install 2" rigid PVC as an absolute minimum, and you get get all that at Menards.

Another update - the project is underway - I will post progress pics as it develops.

I decided to install a greenhouse over this pool! I refused to operate another pool without a better cover system and this is what was decided in the end.
Pic below is not mine but is close to what it will look like.

Greenhouse.jpg

Another update - plumbing and excavation time.

dQ17pd5.jpg

J0cnzYe.jpg

LKYuL44.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.