1. Back To Top    #1

Over my head in Wisconsin

I am in over my head.
    What would you do with this?

The good:
    Holds water and surface is in relatively good shape
    Pump, filter, and salt water system in good shape

The bad:
    Concrete and coping are in very poor shape.
    Plumbing all leaks.

I will likely need to tear out the existing deck/coping - replace the plumbing with 2" or better (existing is 1.5). Install a new deck/coping.
    Any recommended concrete help in south central WI?

20150707_072254.jpg
    20150714_174217.jpg
    My hobby is my pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Over my head in Wisconsin

That looks like a bit of a project to me.... <<helpful>>
    12' x 24' IG approx 9.5k gallons
    4' 8" constant depth, vinyl liner, air to water heat pump, floating solar cover, 1 skimmer, 2 inlets, 1 underwater LED light, sand filtration system & now, finally, a TF100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you have the funds, you can demo the deck and put new liner coping on it.

If not, the a renovation of the deck might be a option. Really cant tell by the pic, but is the concrete very uneven from the ground heaving it where its cracked?
    A good power washing with a flat surface cleaner attachment will do miracles, then the cracks can be filled. It may surprise you good it would probably look.

The aluminum liner coping could be repainted. Granted it wouldnt look new... but the the only other option is demo the deck and replace it.
    And the new liner would top it all off.

When you mention the plumbing leaks, is it leaking UNDER the concrete?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

you know the decking doesn't look too bad. to refresh it you could do as Dave mentioned to clean it up and seal cracks...and then use a pool deck paint/finisher on it to make it look nice. I think you probably will need new liner coping as well.

please elaborate on "plumbing leaks"

that pool has a lot of potential. of course in your "con" list you didn't mention needing a new liner. is the liner still good??
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in to watch this one!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Plumbing leaks under the concrete :/
    All of the pipes tested - 3 returns and 2 skimmers - all leak under pressure bad enough it isnt effective to run.
    Bottom drain is hopeless.

The pics dont show it well but yes the concrete is heaving and cracked pretty badly. Even if I dont replace the deck the coping is in really rough shape.

The surface of the pool really isnt as bad as it looks - thats mostly algae from when I drained it to get a better look at stuff.
    It should clean up pretty well.

More pics.
    https://goo.gl/photos/fzbByUnocAUA7ECK8
    My hobby is my pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to the forum Tredge!

Interesting project you'll have here,mane looking forward to seeing it completed. I love a good Reno.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

I would focus on getting the pool itself in order. the decking, while it looks bad, is a separate issue. most critical is getting the plumbing corrected. get the pool up and running and you can tackle the decking next year. I would just pressure wash it for now to make it look better. leaking plumbing is a bigger issue
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

do you know exactly where the plumbing is? if so, you could do the following yourself

demo the deck in those areas
    run new 2 inch plumbing
    plug the main drain (most pools do not have them anymore)
    clean inside the pool and get ready for new liner
    install new liner and get pool up and running

deal with the deck at a later time
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

THAT is a great plan! That way you will have a cool pool to jump into when you are working on the other part!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    do you know exactly where the plumbing is?
    Some of it - not all unfortunately. The skimmers are close to the pump and fairly easy to follow. The returns are not so easy.

Main drain is already plugged - but how do you keep the bottom circulating with such a deep pool without a main drain? Maybe this is a dumb question but I cant figure it out.
    My hobby is my pool

12. Back To Top    #12

you can aim some of your returns downward to get circulation. if you are re-plumbing might want to see how many returns you have and add a few possibly.
    Dan

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Tredge View Post
    Some of it - not all unfortunately. The skimmers are close to the pump and fairly easy to follow. The returns are not so easy.

Main drain is already plugged - but how do you keep the bottom circulating with such a deep pool without a main drain? Maybe this is a dumb question but I cant figure it out.
    Main drains are less essential than you would suspect. Many pools installed now do not have main drains. They are nice if you need to drain the pool but don't really help that much with circulation and water movement. If you have one return aimed down into the deep end, that is usually enough. I have 3 returns on my pool (2 at the ends, one on the side). My end returns push out across the surface to attempt to create counter-clockwise surface action and the side return is pointed into the deep end. I do have a main drain but I have a 3-way valve diverting most suction to my returns, just a bit more than a trickle to pulling at the main drain.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

Update.

I found a company that will place bracing - tear out the deck - replace the deck with concrete and a new cantilever coping.

I still need to address the plumbing once the deck is pulled out and have some questions.

What skimmers are best now that I have the opportunity to change them? Should I try to find the same ones or are there better options?
    Is 2 inch piping OK? Currently 1.5" Flexible or rigid? Where do I get eyeballs and parts?
    My hobby is my pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Tredge View Post
    What skimmers are best now that I have the opportunity to change them? Should I try to find the same ones or are there better options?
    Is 2 inch piping OK? Currently 1.5" Flexible or rigid? Where do I get eyeballs and parts?
    Go to Midwest Pool Supply in Middleton for your pool specific parts. Install 2" rigid PVC as an absolute minimum, and you get get all that at Menards.
    2016 total pool rebuild thread: here. Pool: 26,000 gal IG vinyl liner (20'x40') in Madison, WI. Gear: ​Superflo VS, Triton TR-60 filter, 2" hi-flow MPV, & Raypak 266A heater. Testing: Taylor K-2006C. Manual chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31.25% muriatic acid.

16. Back To Top    #16

Another update - the project is underway - I will post progress pics as it develops.

I decided to install a greenhouse over this pool! I refused to operate another pool without a better cover system and this is what was decided in the end.
    Pic below is not mine but is close to what it will look like.

Greenhouse.jpg
    My hobby is my pool

17. Back To Top    #17

Progress update:
    Concrete and coping are gone. Plumbing next!

20150824_151618-PANO.jpg
    My hobby is my pool

18. Back To Top    #18

Another update - plumbing and excavation time.

My hobby is my pool

19. Back To Top    #19

Looking like quite the project! Keep us updated.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

20. Back To Top    #20

Dirt! LOTS of dirt!

Tell the "story" about the gray tube under the equipment area.

Kim

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast