Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Replacement

Hello everyone. I am in the process of installing a new skimmer in my in-ground pool but I don't know what to use to seal the skimmer to the pool wall. Someone suggested that I use an epoxy. Is really the best thing to use. Frustrated!!!
    I have an inground plastered pool. It has a single speed 3500 rpm pump. In southern California. Uses a DE filter sysytem.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Replacement

Welcome to TFP!

I'm not sure what to suggest to do this right. Perhaps one of our industry guys or someone else can make the best suggestion.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

A skimmer likely comes with a gasket, usually a silicon. Do not use epoxy, it is not for the job. Silicone caulk you can use, but I would first put the gasket in. If the surface is not damaged or too rough the gasket should work without any sealant.
    Seasonal World rectangular pool, 27K gallons (data sheet), 25.3K calculated
    Jandy Stealth JHPU 2.0 PUMP, 2HP
    Jandy CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair C320 inline chlorinator
    AquaComfort heatpump heater

4. Back To Top    #4

When my pool was remodeled - I thought they just put the skimmer in and then poured concrete around it. I don't remember seeing any gasket or silicone being used.
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

When you replace the skimmer the new unit is plumbed in and the front of the skimmer butts up against the bond beam, which is the outside of the gunite wall. It is then set by a level and secured by tie wires to the rebar, as flush and level against the outside gunite wall. The throat is then tiles and then the area around the throat is filled by first by morter mix, and finished with tile grout. No gaskets or silicone is used.

6. Back To Top    #6

OldPoolMan - I think that's how mine was done.
    Pool Remodeled June 2015. 18K Gallon IG kidney shaped. Pebble Tec (Tahoe Blue) finish. Jandy ePump 2HP. Hayward SwimClear C2025 filter. Hayward SWG. Jandy iAqualink RS6 automation. 6 Deck Jets. Pool Remodel Link Future: Acid automation. Chlorine automation for winter. Solar panels.