Time, energy and money wasted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Themamacurd
I feel ya. I LOVE this site and am amazed at the selfless people on here spending hours of their time giving advice to people but it does feel like if you don't have one of their recommended test kits then no one will help you. I get it, its like throwing parts at a non working car hoping the problem will go away. I had ordered the kit but it was a week away, and I didn't want to wait until then to try and get my pool in order, so I did the same as you, took my limited test results and read the forums and stickies and just went for it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Here's the simple answer. As evidenced by your and many others' experiences, pool store testing is unreliable and worth exactly what you pay for it. So cross that off the list.

Which leaves us with home testing. You have an algae outbreak, along with a high CYA level, meaning you need to perform a SLAM. With your CYA anywhere from 80 to 160 (who knows for sure?), the FC level for you SLAM is going to be anywhere from 31 to 62.

If you can find a cheap testing kit that will measure both CYA and FC up to 62 ppm, go for it. But the OTO drop test included in most kits only measures FC up to 5 ppm.

So any effort you make armed with only that information is simply going to be shooting in the dark. You might as well just begin dumping random chemicals (and money!) into your pool. You might get lucky, but probably not. If you were, would you be here now, asking for help?

You've gotten good advice - the same given to everyone else that comes here with the same problem. You only need to read a few other threads to see that it works. But if you refuse to follow it to the letter, don't expect the good folks here to play along for very long.

Good luck!

I just don't see why driving less than a mile to NPS to have my water tested is any different than purchasing a $70+ test kit and doing it at home.
Seems silly.

The reason a quality test kit is recommended is for accuracy. With a proper test kit, you use chemical reactions to determine the various levels accurately and repeatably, and can then determine the dosages of chemicals accurately. Apparently the pool store tests are not accurate or repeatable. If you dont want the TF-100, at least consider the Taylor K-2006. You already seem to have a good grasp of the TFP philosophy, with a proper kit and reliable numbers, you will save money and the kit will pay for itself by removing the needless expensive pool store products. Best wishes

You need one with a FAS-DPD test to measure chlorine at the levels and with the accuracy necessary to perform a proper SLAM. And don't fall for the fancy electronic testers. They simply aren't accurate enough either.

Took the water to the pool store up the road. They tested it and sold me $150 of stuff "This will get you set up". With in two weeks I started seeing some green on my walls. Took more water to them. "Oh yeah you need x,y,z" That trip cost $75. I did this for over a year. I fought that pool for a year! I even went to a different pool store for help------more $$ with very little results. "Oh your water just needs to be lowered about an inch and add this"

Kim is 100% correct. I know at first glance, $70+ seems like a lot for "only a test kit." Especially if you are trying to stay above water, debt-wise...no pun intended, but oddly appropriate. On the other hand, it seems to me counterintuitive to poo-poo the cost of a test kit and then spend the same amount of money or more over the next couple weeks for chemicals that may (but most likely not) work and then only for a few days, thereby necessitating another trip to the pool store to spend more money.

I was a Baquacil conversion, but over the last couple years, my pool was murky and cloudy. After my conversion and getting a handle on the chemical maintenance, I did the math. I calculate that I'll spend about $10/week on liquid chlorine. If my pool is open about 4 months, that means $160/season. They say that the TF-100 reagents will last about 2 seasons, so lets call it an even two bills to maintain/season. During my 1st 7 seasons on BQ, I estimate that I spent between $350-$600 or more per season (Flocculant, Sanitizer & Algistat, oxidizer, algaecide (that only made the water foamy), pH+, pH-, anti foam, etc., etc. without any idea if I'd clear up my water by September.

Basically, you spend $70 now to save $500 later. When thought about in those terms, it's a pretty inexpensive investment for a huge payoff that is virtually guaranteed. Ultimately, it is up to you, but I'll take those odds every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I am leaning towards a partial drain. Our pool is only two years old and I dont think it will damage it.
The pool store does not sell test kits that read that high.
And I am actually appalled at what the man at the pool store had to say.

Well I told him my story:
needed a test kit that tested high...like chlorine 40-50 ppm and cya 160+ ppm
"well WHY wouod you want a kit thay tests THAT high?"
because my cya is so high and that is what is gonna kill the algae! !!!!! "Well no you need....." and I cut him off. I told him my husband has been using chlorine tabs with stabilizer and listening to the advice of pool store guys. And that has caused our cya to jump up to 160 ppm and 2-4 ppm chlorine isnt working so I need to bring it up to 40-50 ppm. "Oh no!!! He didnt know that stabilizer builds up ....oh....oh no....that sucks...."
Yah. It does.
I told him about the 14 # shock granules and 10 gallon liquid chlorine and how our pump and filter is fine, backwashed 3 times today, brushed twice and he said:
"I dont know. I am stumped."
Blah

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
themamacurd,
For your encouragement I will share my story. I am new to pools in general, bought a house that had a pool, that had not been used for a few years. Spent 2 weeks with pool store spent over $1000. Still had a pool that looked and smelled more like a cesspool than a pool. 1 week with help from this site and I had a crystal clear pool. But the biggest thing you need is the proper test kit and proper information so you and the experts here can really help you. Some pictures and info on size of you pool, how many gallons, equipment ect. which will also be helpful for them (you can put that in your signature which will automatically appear at the end of each post). But you need to do things AFTER you know what is going on so you are not just wasting your money as I fear you have been doing. For instance if your pool has CYA of 160 it will be much more difficult to quickly clean up than if at 80, and if it is 50 it will be much easier. This is the same for other chemicals. I bought the TF-100 and it is a great buy and I would highly suggest the XL which is extra of what you will need to do a lot of FAS/DPD chlorine tests which is much different than the chlorine test you are doing now. By the way, after buying my test kit I only spent about $100 on chemicals to get my water from cesspool (and I literally mean dark brown mud like water that had about a foot of visibility before the leaf rake was no longer visible) to crystal clear. I now can read which side a dime lands on in the 8 ft section of the pool. So don't be faint of heart and do not jump to conclusions and almost have a heart attack like I did when a pool guy told me he thought I had a broken return line which would mean bringing in a backhoe tearing up the concrete and digging. I did not have a broken return line at all. So get the true readings bring them here with all the info you have on the pool then listen to the experts. You might just be able to be swimming a few days after the test kit arrives.

Pay me now or pay me later. Get CYA under control and use bleach and baking soda and muriatic acid.
The test kit price seems to offend you...why? Is it better to pay for shock and pucks and algaecide?
Comforting to have uninformed pool store kids make decisions for you rather than learn a few simple skills yourself?

I am a skeptical person. You tell me something and I dont believe you until I research and research.
I am still trying to figure out if this entire forum is a marketing ploy.
You all sound like a commercial for this test kit. I am not trying to be offensive but you all really do sound like a cult.
I have several different people telling me several different things. I am not one to just do something because someone says so, I need to know why I am being told to do it. And still I will research and decide if its the best thing to do.
I do have a game plane but I fear to disclose it because I am confident I will receive negative comments.
So just let me do my thing and if it doesnt work I will come back and seek your advice.

You already have a 6-way kit. All you need is the FAS-DPD test kit (Taylor K1515C or equivalent from TFtestkits). It runs about $25-30.

That is the test that will allow you to accurately measure your FC and CC up to the levels you need. Your 6-way has everything else.

I agree with you about the push in this thread with the test kit by the way. It's just that people are very passionate here and probably many had to "bite the bullet and trust" when they got their kit.

I am a skeptical person. You tell me something and I dont believe you until I research and research.
You all sound like a commercial for this test kit. I am not trying to be offensive but you all really do sound like a cult.
I have several different people telling me several different things. I am not one to just do something because someone says so, I need to know why I am being told to do it. And still I will research and decide if its the best thing to do.
I do have a game plane but I fear to disclose it because I am confident I will receive negative comments.
So just let me do my thing and if it doesnt work I will come back and seek your advice.
The TFT test kit is cheaper than the commercially available K2006 kit. You listened to pool stores.
So ignore the forum members. Good luck. An anonymous forum that helps people vs. pool stores that have a profit motive. Continue with pool store methods and you will have to drain your pool every 2-3 years in the desert. That's responsible.

Kim, I have a 5-way test kit now and yes I do agree I need a more sophisticated test kit but not a $70 one. I will find a reasonably priced test kit somewhere for sure.
And Kim, yes I do believe the same thing has happened to us with the shock and the tabs. I do believe the tabs is adding to the problem.
I am very interested in learning what you all have to offer. I like the idea of using simple science (borax, baking soda, ect) instead of dropping $32 on algeacide. But I am not interested in the test kit ya'll are pushing.

I will be honest with you, I use a five way test kit from Home Depot and I bought a CYA test kit on Amazon for $10 and a refill 32 oz of the regent for $10. Everytime I attempted to buy the Taylor kit, I got cold financial feet. I even ordered it once as an Amazon Open Box item. It came and the previous owner had taken the regents they wanted and returned the kit. I sent it back and did not order another.

Because I do not have the recommended test kit, I do not ask for help with my numbers because they are not as accurate as the forum members would like and they cannot give me accurate advice. However, I did not come here with a green pool nor have I ever had one.

Because I know that my test kit is different, it definitely works but I am missing the CC test, I have read every post on this forum like it is the latest Wally Lamb novel. Then, I read them again. I use the search box and find information that I did not even know I needed.

For those who come here with a green pool who expect to swim by the weekend, I must say, those are unrealistic expectations. Some may disagree but no pool becomes green overnight. There are signs that we choose to ignore until "suddenly", without warning, the pool is green. At that point, there is a process to clear it permanently IF you want the algae gone not to mask it for the weekend party. The masking is why I no longer swim in any pool but my own.

In the end, the fastest way to clearing up the pool is to buy the test kit, post your numbers, learn to use the pool calculator, and read, then reread Pool School. Many people on this forum will tell you exactly what to do based on the numbers that you provide and they will help you understand how to use the Taylor test kit.

In the end, you have to decide which way you want to go. I made a decision, schooled myself, and enjoy my time on the forum.

I know there are others on this forum who do not have a Taylor test kit but we exist in a secret society. Please, keep our secret.

:laughblue:
I am laughing hysterically!!
Cult!?!?! Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.