Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: high phosphates

1. Back To Top    #1

Marietta, Ga

high phosphates

PoolSchool says chlorine alone can keep algae
    in check (even at very high phosphate levels).....
    My phosphate level is 1200 ppl. School says,
    "it doesn't make much sense to use phosphate
    remover except rare and unusual situations"
    What constitutes a rare and unusual situation?
    Does 1200 ppb qualify?
    Thank You!
    20K, IG, new Merlin vinyl liner, sand, Triton Tr-60, Eco-Pump EP-6, 1.5hp, Taylor TF-100
    Test kit, Compupool CPSC 24 SWG, city water, built in 1979.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: high phosphates

Welcome to TFP!

I think 3000 PPB is generally considered a point of concern by those who wish to address the issue. Generally we say don't worry about them, and most of us don't even know what we have. Personally, if someone wants to address them and manage that in their pool, I think it's fine, and has merit in some cases, but the simple TFPC Philosophy is to overcome them even if you have them with proper control of free chlorine. It's exceedingly rare that there is a better, or simpler method IMO. The emphasis placed on the importance of Phosphates is wildly exaggerated by those who stand to profit from the sale of removers I'm afraid. Dead or non existent Algae cannot utilize phosphates for nutrients, and that's the bottom line. Free chlorine takes care of Algae so why worry about anything else is the basic idea.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr