Hayward star-clear "residential" vs "public" GPM

Jul 15, 2015
Florida
I'm trying to understand why the different GPM ratings.

I'm trying to dial back my Max-full Vs but according to the filter chart(c12002) the designed residential flow rate is 120GPM!

That means my pump needs to run full power. That doesn't seem correct to me.

So help me understand the residential and public design flow rates!

Thanks.

Thank You.

The pool builder had my max-flo running 8 hours a day at 2400 rpm. That equates to 38,000 per day or about 3.5 turn overs a day! My SWG is set to about 50% and holding levels.

If I can run the filter at 45 GPM that should be plenty to run the SWG as well. 45 GPM equates to about 1700 RPM base on the Max-flo chart. I should be able to easily still turn over the entire pool in 4 hours. Hopefully my SWG can keep up at a higher setting with the reduced run time.

A lot of people get hung up on turnovers and that doesn't really matter. Water clarity is what matters. You should run your pump as long as it takes to keep the water clear.

I would run the pump just a little faster than the lowest speed that keeps the swg flow switch happy, and run it ever how long it takes to keep the water clear.

I dropped it down to 1700 rpm for 8 hours and upped the swg output to 70%.

I'll be out of town for a few days. I'll see how the parameters are when I get back then try toying with it at the lowest swg flow like you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no reason to up the SWG output if you are running for the same number of hours. The speed does not affect FC output. The SWG either has enough flow to work or it doesn't.

Tested the water today when I got home. Pool looks crystal clear and FC was at 5-6 depending on how your eyes see color. You guys were spot on with your advice.

Looks like I can even lower my pump further to 1200 rpm and maintain flow on the SWG. Overall this will drop my cost almost $16 a month! Probably more if I up the swg output and lower run time. Nice job TFP people! Thanks

.13 kw/hr, 8 hours a day
PB setup at 2400 rpm - 577 watts - .60 per day - $18 per month
1200 rpm - 77 watts - .08 per day - $2.40 per month

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.