Came home to Gatorade.

Sep 13, 2013
Goshen, NY
Dear TFP supporters,

I have been active on your site for more than (1) year and thought I was one of your best students, I was recently proven wrong after having to leave home for a sudden death in the family only to return to what my neighbor said "it looks like gatorade".

Last night and this morning I backwashed my sand filter, brushed the sides, vacuumed the bottom and again added more bleach from Aldi approximnately 64 ounces. The vacuuming caused more cloudiness and the filter is been on for 1.5 days now. Please see attached picture.

Yesterday evening measured as follows:
FC 6
PH 7.6
TA 130
CYA 48-50
CH 200 (20 drops)

This morning:
FC 13
PH 8.0
TA 120

Am I on track to solve this issue as I am concerned about discoloring the liner. I have plenty of bleach on hand.

Thank you in advance for any guidance from the pool Masters!

Attachments

• 21 ft. round-NY.jpg
    21 ft. round-NY.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 187
Welcome to TFP! Remember that you can not accurately test your pH if the FC is >10...your target FC should be 20 ppm. So, I would get your FC up and keep it at or slightly above 20 at all times. Continue the SLAM until:

1. Your CC is 0.5 or less
2. You pass the OCLT
3. Your water is crystal clear

Your liner should be fine with a target of 20. Anytime you go below that target the algae will gain ground. Keep brushing, back washing when your filter pressure rises, and keep that FC up! The more you test and adjust your FC the faster this will go!

Keep doing what you're doing and keep FC at 20 until you pass. Don't neglect the ladder - it can provide many hiding places for algae.

attachment.php

OK thank you for quick reply and assurance that I on track. Will keep testing and monitoring as the day progresses.

One other question, my floater containing (2) tablets of Tricholor, should I stop using them during this shock period?

Thanks again,

Stefan

Thank you Daniele P,

This morning I measured FC 28 and have noticed improvements and see some parts more than others are starting to clear up.

I am noticing a large circle of algae in the middle of the pool that is accumulating. As I brush it does get more cloudy but the green is fading and I hope to report later today of even more improvement. Aldi had plenty of chlorine yesterday as I bought as much as I could fit into the shopping cart. People thought I was the proud owner of a meth lab not a 21 ft round Above ground pool owner.

Testing, scrubbing, dosing is my routine right now any one that has "next step" recommendations I would be grateful for your suggestions. Maybe DE?

I am thankful TFP is here to help as this is not easy to go through in the middle of Summer.

Stefan

Brush daily, vac (to waste, if possible) daily, backwash when necessary, test and add as often as possible, repeat.

Adding enough DE to increase post-backwash pressure by 1 psi will help speed up the water clearing process, but will also require more frequent backwashing.

EDIT: When I first stumbled upon this thread, this is all I could think about...

Gatorade - YouTube

Thank you very much,

question remains, vacuum to waste, I have not done this before as there are many options on this pump I know that there is one setting for waste, Ill do some reading in the owners manual to see if the waste setting allows me to vacuum straight out of the filter onto the lawn, that would be very helpful. Appreciate the tip very much.

I am learning more and more as I continue to read on TFP, the pool store is not an option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would recommend not vacuuming the entire floor to waste on a daily basis, maybe the center where it accumulates when you have jets set to a whirlpool spinning action if you see algae, but not the whole pool. You'll lose a lot of water just vacuuming the center.

Yes, the waste you have is the waste referred to by COBrien.

If you can babysit the filter, add pool DE per instructions (link at bottom of SLAM article). All the stuff has to get out of the water to be clear, the sooner, the better.

Came home to a clear pool, wow that was a relief, some dark brown sediment in the center and the outside temperature plummeted to 62 degrees, far below normal for July here in NY.

FC is 14-16 can I start lowering the Chlorine levels after I take an early morning reading?

Vacuuming will be simple now that see all of the sediment and realize it really is not that bad as originally expected.

Thank you again for your support. I am sure my filter looks forward to a break this weekend.

Remember, a SLAM is considered a success when the following are true:

CC less than or equal to 0.5
Pass the OCLT
Water is crystal clear

If you can say yes to those criteria you can lower your FC to the target for your CYA. If not, you must continue the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.