Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Came home to Gatorade.

1. Back To Top    #1

Came home to Gatorade.

Dear TFP supporters,

I have been active on your site for more than (1) year and thought I was one of your best students, I was recently proven wrong after having to leave home for a sudden death in the family only to return to what my neighbor said "it looks like gatorade".

Last night and this morning I backwashed my sand filter, brushed the sides, vacuumed the bottom and again added more bleach from Aldi approximnately 64 ounces. The vacuuming caused more cloudiness and the filter is been on for 1.5 days now. Please see attached picture.

Yesterday evening measured as follows:
    FC 6
    PH 7.6
    TA 130
    CYA 48-50
    CH 200 (20 drops)

This morning:
    FC 13
    PH 8.0
    TA 120

Am I on track to solve this issue as I am concerned about discoloring the liner. I have plenty of bleach on hand.

Thank you in advance for any guidance from the pool Masters!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10, 000 gallon above Ground-Southern NY State
    Filter-Hayward Power-Flo Matrix
    Sand Filter-Hayward Vari-Flow XL-Valve
    Partial Shade am Full Sun PM
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Came home to Gatorade.

Welcome to TFP! Remember that you can not accurately test your pH if the FC is >10...your target FC should be 20 ppm. So, I would get your FC up and keep it at or slightly above 20 at all times. Continue the SLAM until:

1. Your CC is 0.5 or less
    2. You pass the OCLT
    3. Your water is crystal clear

Your liner should be fine with a target of 20. Anytime you go below that target the algae will gain ground. Keep brushing, back washing when your filter pressure rises, and keep that FC up! The more you test and adjust your FC the faster this will go!
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep doing what you're doing and keep FC at 20 until you pass. Don't neglect the ladder - it can provide many hiding places for algae.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Now that is funny...
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK thank you for quick reply and assurance that I on track. Will keep testing and monitoring as the day progresses.

One other question, my floater containing (2) tablets of Tricholor, should I stop using them during this shock period?

Thanks again,

Stefan
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, pull them out. Your Cya is already 50, so you don't want more right now.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a nice looking outdoor area, hope to see a perfectly clear pool from the same angle soon!
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you Daniele P,

This morning I measured FC 28 and have noticed improvements and see some parts more than others are starting to clear up.

I am noticing a large circle of algae in the middle of the pool that is accumulating. As I brush it does get more cloudy but the green is fading and I hope to report later today of even more improvement. Aldi had plenty of chlorine yesterday as I bought as much as I could fit into the shopping cart. People thought I was the proud owner of a meth lab not a 21 ft round Above ground pool owner.

Testing, scrubbing, dosing is my routine right now any one that has "next step" recommendations I would be grateful for your suggestions. Maybe DE?

I am thankful TFP is here to help as this is not easy to go through in the middle of Summer.

Stefan
    Taylor K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Brush daily, vac (to waste, if possible) daily, backwash when necessary, test and add as often as possible, repeat.

Adding enough DE to increase post-backwash pressure by 1 psi will help speed up the water clearing process, but will also require more frequent backwashing.

EDIT: When I first stumbled upon this thread, this is all I could think about...

Gatorade - YouTube
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you very much,

question remains, vacuum to waste, I have not done this before as there are many options on this pump I know that there is one setting for waste, Ill do some reading in the owners manual to see if the waste setting allows me to vacuum straight out of the filter onto the lawn, that would be very helpful. Appreciate the tip very much.

I am learning more and more as I continue to read on TFP, the pool store is not an option.
    Taylor K-2006

11. Back To Top    #11

I would recommend not vacuuming the entire floor to waste on a daily basis, maybe the center where it accumulates when you have jets set to a whirlpool spinning action if you see algae, but not the whole pool. You'll lose a lot of water just vacuuming the center.

Yes, the waste you have is the waste referred to by COBrien.

If you can babysit the filter, add pool DE per instructions (link at bottom of SLAM article). All the stuff has to get out of the water to be clear, the sooner, the better.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.

12. Back To Top    #12

I wouldn't add DE until you are nearly done. the sand filter will get rid of most of the dead algae, and when you are getting toward the end of the SLAM, you can then add DE to finished off the water.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by DanielP View Post
    I would recommend not vacuuming the entire floor to waste on a daily basis, maybe the center where it accumulates when you have jets set to a whirlpool spinning action if you see algae, but not the whole pool. You'll lose a lot of water just vacuuming the center.
    Good point, DanielP. I forgot we're talking about a 10k gallon pool...
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

14. Back To Top    #14

Came home to a clear pool, wow that was a relief, some dark brown sediment in the center and the outside temperature plummeted to 62 degrees, far below normal for July here in NY.

FC is 14-16 can I start lowering the Chlorine levels after I take an early morning reading?

Vacuuming will be simple now that see all of the sediment and realize it really is not that bad as originally expected.

Thank you again for your support. I am sure my filter looks forward to a break this weekend.
    Taylor K-2006

15. Back To Top    #15

Remember, a SLAM is considered a success when the following are true:

CC less than or equal to 0.5
    Pass the OCLT
    Water is crystal clear

If you can say yes to those criteria you can lower your FC to the target for your CYA. If not, you must continue the SLAM.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    I wouldn't add DE until you are nearly done. the sand filter will get rid of most of the dead algae, and when you are getting toward the end of the SLAM, you can then add DE to finished off the water.
    I agree and was about to post the same thing. Get the water clearer before DE.

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes to everything jaduck said. You do not want to end too early or it will return to Gatorade again!

Lol! At the posted video!

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

18. Back To Top    #18

When you can vacuum the floor on filter mode without needing to backkwash, and you can go 24hr without needing to backwash, and you have a day to monitor the filter pressure, go ahead and backwash and then add DE per instructions.