Accurate salinity reading?

Jul 12, 2015
Orlando, FL
My Swg recommended 110lb of salt for my pool size (3000ppm). I dumped in 3 x 40 lb bags (120 lbs). Current reading of salt is about 2600 ppm. This is several weeks later, after Swg randomly started complaining of high salt, and after lots of rain and even adding fresh water to try and dilute to make the Swg happy. Still no luck. Currently waiting on Intex to send me out new titanium plates.

But what is strange is the fact my wife and I can taste slight salt in the water. We don't care but I read that only above 3500ppm some people may taste salt? What is the most accurate way of getting the salt reading? Currently I've been using Aqua chek strips that sit in a sample for < 10 min.

The strips are fairly accurate if the test is performed exactly as the directions call for.
I personally like the K-1766 Taylor test mentioned above, but that's overkill for most people.
If I were in doubt about my test, I'd take a sample to a nearby pool store and have them check it.

If using pool store, i would get three separate samples - this will help you understand the bias and variance of the pool store test...absent your own test, per above.

90,000litre, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP Tristar pump, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 ASG

My water is sitting at 2800 (per the display) and I can taste a slight salt flavor. My calculations are showing I should have around 3100 and I have a TDS meter that shows around 3400, and I tested faucet water to be 150, so I subtract that and get 3250, so I figure the rest of the chemicals in the pool make up the last 150 but not another 450.

I don't think the displays are very accurate...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.