Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: separate cyliders for FC vs TA/CH

1. Back To Top    #1

separate cyliders for FC vs TA/CH

Why does the TF100 come with a cylinder for chlorine only?

I am ordering a sample sizer, and it says it works with the Taylor cylinders, not the ones that come with the TF100. I am also ordering a speed stirrer which comes with one cylinder. Do I need a second Taylor cylinder so I can continue to separate the chlorine testing from the alkalinity and calcium testing?

also what is the $ limit for free shipping on TFTestKits.net?
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: separate cyliders for FC vs TA/CH

If you use the sample sizer, you ought to have a second cylinder. I don't bother with my sizer. I think it was a waste of money. The speedstir wasn't, nor were the extra stirbars. I use the original two cylinders for FC and TA, the one that came with the speedstir for CH, and the mixing bottle for CYA. They all fit on the speedstir and with 4 stirbars, I can run every test before I have to wash dishes. If the free shipping offer is still on, I believe it's $80.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Why separate the FC but not the CH and TA?
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Because the chlorine test can slowly discolor the cylinder. Although you can clean it occasionally with diluted muriatic acid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

My chlorine test cylinder is already cloudy after less than 1 year. Also, I have used a cylinder on the speedstir to mix the CYA test sample...not a good idea, that stuff makes a mess of the clear cylinders!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Because the chlorine test can slowly discolor the cylinder. Although you can clean it occasionally with diluted muriatic acid.
    I think I recall in another thread where someone mentioned using a 3:1 dilution ratio. If I use Muriatic Acid, is it best to use the diluted mix and let the Taylor vial sit for a few minutes to wait for the cloudy stain to dissipate?
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

7. Back To Top    #7

Concentrated chlorine in the chlorine cylinder usually clears it for me. Of course, you have to very thoroughly rinse afterwards to remove that chlorine (fill, rinse, empty with water 7 times).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"