What are the negatives for way over-salting your pool ?

Jun 6, 2015
Vancouver
I have a pretty big salt water pool. 34,000 gallons. Here is the issue. I do not want to run the pool pump 24 hours a day which seems to be what it needs to generate the required amount of chlorine. The previous owner ran it 24 hrs a day because there is no timer here. Or any sign of one.

I also do not heat this pool nor do I want to. My 5 year old nephew or my 50+ year old Mom have no problem swimming at the temp that it is. Its stays around 69 to 77 degrees. Someone told me that the water should be closer to 80 to get the chlorine generation.

So my idea is just to up the salt content from 5000 to 8 or 9000 ppm.

I also do not care about the salt taste and since i am bypassing the heater, the salt will not damage it. The only metal that the salt may hurt is the ladder and some pump components.

thanks

You have addressed the increased corrosion issues but more importantly the SWG will probably not even run. You will most likely get a high salt warning and the cell will not function. If you still have an Aquarite, 3200 ppm is optimal. Most SWGs will not function over 4500 ppm.

Based on your pool size...you are going to have to supplement with bleach. I don't see any other way. (Unless you want to add another cell).

There are limits to the salt level and the salt level does not affect the FC output very much in the recommended range. The SWG should be working fine over about 60 degrees.

Sounds like you need a bigger SWG or a second one for your large pool. Then you could add a timer.

Please add your pool and equipment details to your signature.

You have addressed the increased corrosion issues but more importantly the SWG will probably not even run. You will most likely get a high salt warning and the cell will not function. If you still have an Aquarite, 3200 ppm is optimal. Most SWGs will not function over 4500 ppm.

Based on your pool size...you are going to have to supplement with bleach. I don't see any other way. (Unless you want to add another cell).

i never even thought of adding another generator. Thats a good idea that i will have to consider

Your SWG will produce no more chlorine if you increase the salt to 9000.

I would first learn if the SWG was capable of producing enough chlorine for your size pool.

If it is, then I would be concerned about the organic content of your pool.......in other words you could well have invisible algae that is consuming a lot of your chlorine. A good set of test results are required to determine that.

Vancouver, Florida??? Help us out.

The largest/highest rated residential SWG's don't produce much more than 2lbs of chlorine per 24hours when BRAND NEW. In your pool, that would equate to a daily production rate of 7ppm FC or about 0.3ppm/hr.

If you post the manufacturers details for the SWG, it should be easy to tell if you're sized properly or not. Also, if the cell is old (the best ones will only last 3-5 years), a new one might be in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.