Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are the negatives for way over-salting your pool ?

1. Back To Top    #1

What are the negatives for way over-salting your pool ?

I have a pretty big salt water pool. 34,000 gallons. Here is the issue. I do not want to run the pool pump 24 hours a day which seems to be what it needs to generate the required amount of chlorine. The previous owner ran it 24 hrs a day because there is no timer here. Or any sign of one.

I also do not heat this pool nor do I want to. My 5 year old nephew or my 50+ year old Mom have no problem swimming at the temp that it is. Its stays around 69 to 77 degrees. Someone told me that the water should be closer to 80 to get the chlorine generation.

So my idea is just to up the salt content from 5000 to 8 or 9000 ppm.

I also do not care about the salt taste and since i am bypassing the heater, the salt will not damage it. The only metal that the salt may hurt is the ladder and some pump components.

thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What are the negatives for way over-salting your pool ?

Will the SWG run if the salt is too high? Is the SWG undersized for the pool?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You have addressed the increased corrosion issues but more importantly the SWG will probably not even run. You will most likely get a high salt warning and the cell will not function. If you still have an Aquarite, 3200 ppm is optimal. Most SWGs will not function over 4500 ppm.

Based on your pool size...you are going to have to supplement with bleach. I don't see any other way. (Unless you want to add another cell).
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

There are limits to the salt level and the salt level does not affect the FC output very much in the recommended range. The SWG should be working fine over about 60 degrees.

Sounds like you need a bigger SWG or a second one for your large pool. Then you could add a timer.

Please add your pool and equipment details to your signature.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by UN1017 View Post
    You have addressed the increased corrosion issues but more importantly the SWG will probably not even run. You will most likely get a high salt warning and the cell will not function. If you still have an Aquarite, 3200 ppm is optimal. Most SWGs will not function over 4500 ppm.

Based on your pool size...you are going to have to supplement with bleach. I don't see any other way. (Unless you want to add another cell).
    i never even thought of adding another generator. Thats a good idea that i will have to consider

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Your SWG will produce no more chlorine if you increase the salt to 9000.

I would first learn if the SWG was capable of producing enough chlorine for your size pool.

If it is, then I would be concerned about the organic content of your pool.......in other words you could well have invisible algae that is consuming a lot of your chlorine. A good set of test results are required to determine that.

Vancouver, Florida??? Help us out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

if you have a 60K cell it should be creating enough for your pool.. what are the numbers for your pool?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

8. Back To Top    #8

The largest/highest rated residential SWG's don't produce much more than 2lbs of chlorine per 24hours when BRAND NEW. In your pool, that would equate to a daily production rate of 7ppm FC or about 0.3ppm/hr.

If you post the manufacturers details for the SWG, it should be easy to tell if you're sized properly or not. Also, if the cell is old (the best ones will only last 3-5 years), a new one might be in order.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates