Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please tell me this thing rotates ...

1. Back To Top    #1

Please tell me this thing rotates ...

Just got home from work and found the insurance company's pool contractor replaced my filter. That's a good thing, but the way he installed it has me scratching my head a little. The backwash output is directed right at the plumbing in such a way that there's no possibility of attaching a hose or pipe to backwash the filter. I tried rotating the outlet, but it doesn't budge. Please tell me this thing rotates.

20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please tell me this thing rotates ...

A little Googlin' shows that the bottom 90 degree is a separate piece ... so it should turn unless they glued it in for some reason.

Might try putting something in the pipe to give a little more leverage to turn it? Or you may want to try to wiggle it back and forth pushing down to try to get it to come loose.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    A little Googlin' shows that the bottom 90 degree is a separate piece ... so it should turn unless they glued it in for some reason.

Might try putting something in the pipe to give a little more leverage to turn it? Or you may want to try to wiggle it back and forth pushing down to try to get it to come loose.
    OK. Thanks. I used all the force I could muster with my hands and it didn't budge, and I've been able to cleanly snap the blade of a pair of loppers using that much force. I just wanted to double-check that there wasn't some special rain dance or chicken sacrifice required before using more mechanical force (like a pipe) to try and turn it.
    20k gal. IG plaster w/spa. 2 HP Aqua-Flo "A" pump, Hayward DE6020 filter. "The Pool Cleaner".

4. Back To Top    #4

My bet is that they glued it in there. I'd call them back and ask them to come fix it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yep, that elbow comes with the valve unglued in the box so you can set in any direction.
    make your guy return to do what it takes to fix it

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool guy insists he didn't glue it, so when I get home today I'll try again. I don't want to be led into breaking the valve because I erroneously believe it's clear to apply more force.

7. Back To Top    #7

Tell the installer to come fix it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys. I was able to use a rubber mallet to gently tap the bottom piece off and reinsert it the way I wanted it.