1. Back To Top    #1

Stumped with Algae

Let me start off with my test results.
    FC 5
    CC 0
    CYA 25-30
    PH 7.4
    TA 100
    I go out today and there is visible algae on the walls and floor of the pool. I always dose chlorine to about 8 and it drops to around 5 in two days. My target FC is 4. It never goes below that. I have no idea how algae is growing. I test my water every other day. It never shows any CCs. I am conpletely stumped as to how this happened. I did lose power for a week a couple weeks ago but i kept the chlorine high around 8-10, brushed the pool daily and made the family get in daily to move the water around. Again, never registered any CCs in the water. Circulation looks good as I watched a leaf floating near the bottom and it was moving all over. How is this possible?
    Does a solar cover promote the algae growth? You guys always said if you keep the chlorine levels right algae cant grow.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stumped with Algae

Lower the pH a little to 7.2 and time to slam, I can't tell you why that happened but I think this is the solution...
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Some times bad things happen to good people.........................but at least you know how to easily fix it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Very likely you have some areas of poor circulation so the algae doesn't get into the "mainstream" of chlorinated water.
    You guys always said if you keep the chlorine levels right algae cant grow.
    Still true. Somehow, sometime and someplace(s) chlorine got too low and algae got as foot hold.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Bummer! Yes, looks like you are doing all the right things. What about brushing? Check behind the light if you have one. It is possible to have localized areas with low FC, that is why brushing is important.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I've been brushing every couple of days. Do you keep ur returns towards the surface to move stuff into skimmers or towards the bottom
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

7. Back To Top    #7

I move mine around every couple of weeks
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

I keep mins pointed more up to skim. We have lots of trees and try to keep debris skimmed. Have suction set to about 80% skimmer and 20% bottom drain.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach