Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Correct actions?

1. Back To Top    #1

El Cajon, CA

Correct actions?

New to this. Been lurking and studying for some time. Frankly embarrassed that I have owned pools for so long and have known so little. After too many battles with my pool, I am committed to getting this right.

FC - 1.4
    PH - 7.6
    TA - 140
    CH - 290
    CYA - <30

After the most recent battle, I dumped most the water last week. The CYA was off the charts and the local pool store is making its profit margins off of CYA reducer chemical (doesn't work) and other potions.

I have read enough to know the FC is way too low and will get more chlorine in. Poolmath (great webpage) is suggesting 7 lbs 8 oz of stabilizer. Oh, the horror of CYA first too high and now too low. Looks like the ABC's suggest purchasing solid stabilizer or conditioner and putting it into the skimmer? Is this the correct action?

Thank you in advance.
    36k, IG, Fibreglass
    Hayward Microclear DE-4800
    Hayward Hydramax II 1.5hp single speed
    Taylor k-2006 with novice skilled owner

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Correct actions?

Lots of Cali folks here to give you a better idea on cya levels, but I'd say 40 to 50. Granulated from Walmart is just fine in a knee high in the skimmer. Just don't clog it! Keep your FC MINIMUM in line with the chlorine/cya chart till you get a handle on how much FC you lose daily. Make your target whatever it needs to be to compensate for daily loss. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Correct actions?

My CYA hovers around 50. When I leave town, I use pucks and it rises a little, but I also use pool water on the lawn to reduce CH buildup, so it lowers then. Call your current level 30 and target 50. If you undershoot, it's easy enough to add more later.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!