New member, new pool, can we talk Chlorine & How am I doing?

Hi everyone,
We have an above ground 23,000L SWG (Haywood T-15 cell) that we installed last year. But because it was so late in the year, we didn't get the heat pump installed until this year. So I was able to use it last year about 2 months, but we had her up & running since April this year woot woot!

To get my feet wet, I've been taking my pool water samples to a local wholesaler, but this year I've also purchased 2 test kits to start testing myself: LaMotte ColorQ Pool 7 Plus, and a Taylor K-2006. I've been using the LaMotte as I sure do like the auto read-out compared to the freak-out intimidation factor when I opened the K-2006 (I must admit, I opened the K-2006, said a bad word, and promptly closed it LOL), but from what I'm reading here, I would be better off between these 2 and learn the Taylor system.

Since finding this site, I've also gone to Pool School and have learned a tremendous amount about readings, what they are for (what an excellent posting here on this subject!), and recommended levels (which can often be different than what my pool supplies store indicates.) Just an example, they list my CYA should be in the 30-60 range, but Haywood (as well as you guys) say it should really be in the 70-80 range. So I HAVE learned don't exactly take those guys at face value.

While I'm learning and think I'm being a diligent student, where I'm struggling is the whole FC vs CC levels and how to regulate CC. Because my pool is pretty small (12' x 20' x 52"), I can regulate my FC pretty easily with the SWG. But my CC is never zero unless I salt shock it, but then it shoots my FC levels around 10 and I then have to turn the generator off until the sun brings it down to the 4-6 level (as recommended here, with my CYA needs of 70-80). And this normally takes 4-5 days, and since we can still use it in the interim, my CC levels go back up and then I have to shock it again. So it seems a revolving door of shocking, and from what I've read, this shouldn't be the case?

For color, we are the only ones with a pool in our neighborhood, so the kids come over quite a bit (3 times a week or so after school) and I strongly suspect they are peeing in the pool and I don't know if that affects the CC level but I would suspect so. We have very little debris in the pool, maybe 5 leaves a day, so that can't be it.

I had then asked the pool supplies store if they had a non-chlorine shock thinking I could control my FC with the SWG and just regulate the CC using the non-chlorine shock, but I've read here that this is not for outdoor pools but indoor (why didn't they tell me that?). So there has to be a better way to regulate my CC without using salt shock that throws my FC for a loop (and affects my salt levels too, which are currently 3100)?

What am I missing here?

Regards,
Lora

ps - I did a water test on my pool yesterday, but there's no point in posting my numbers since it is pouring rain and is expected to do so for the next 2 days (the only # I was high on was PH, pool place said 8.1, LaMotte reading said 7.5. I'm gearing up my nerve to re-test after all the rain with the K-2006. Gulp.)

the k2006 is a good test kit and once you do the first and second test it will be easy... you never mentioned what your CC is so we will have no idea if its a problem or not, but if its under .5 its fine.. above that with a fc of 4 to 6 they may be peeing in the pool (make it a point to tell them IT IS NOT OK...), or it could just be a lot of kids sweating and not taking showers before getting in the pool... you can confirm if they are by testing before and after they are in the pool..

the rain will have little impact on your numbers, run out there and get a bottle of water and bring it inside and do your tests using the K2006 and post them up :)

the k2006 is a good test kit and once you do the first and second test it will be easy... you never mentioned what your CC is so we will have no idea if its a problem or not, but if its under .5 its fine.. above that with a fc of 4 to 6 they may be peeing in the pool (make it a point to tell them IT IS NOT OK...), or it could just be a lot of kids sweating and not taking showers before getting in the pool... you can confirm if they are by testing before and after they are in the pool..

the rain will have little impact on your numbers, run out there and get a bottle of water and bring it inside and do your tests using the K2006 and post them up :)

She said.15-.41

Cowboy, you are naughty LOL, I got your hint :poke:

However, I must add, I'm still getting my toes wet. I've never taken Chemistry in school, in fact I avoided it at all costs. So when I opened the K2006 kit, my heartrate & blood pressure did this :crazy:

But I will say I'm on page 11 of the manual...out of 64 pages, but still...I've started LOL.

And yes, thank you f3justusc, those are my CC levels. Any other thoughts on how to control these better without shock? (Chlorine or non-chlorine?)

Regards,
Lora

Hey fellow Canadian,

Don't be intimidated by the K-2006. I bought mine this year and I love it. You probably closed the lid so fast when you saw all those reagents, that you didn't notice the instructions on the inside of the lid. The instructions are pretty nice, and those are all you need if you want to test your water. Make sure you hold the bottles straight down (not at an angle) when you put drops. The little booklet that comes with it is pretty informative and neat, but you don't need to read it if you just want to test and get numbers. Just follow the instructions inside the lid.

I'm a visual person, so I did watch the video demo on Taylor's website. I'm linking it for you just below. Just go under the video and scroll down until you get to K-2006. You can then watch video demo for every test in that kit.

https://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_choose_slideshow.asp?KitNumber=K-2006

Enjoy.

Welcome aboard!

Just so you know, the purpose of "shocking" a pool is to raise FC to shock level. At TFP, we don't recommend a scheduled "shock," but rather a SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain), which is a process that takes a couple days to weeks, depending on the condition of your pool. The most common recommendation is to SLAM your pool if you test CC at or above 1.0 ppm.

Just for reference, my wife loves to have her coworkers and their kids over to swim on the weekends. We're talking some 10-15 people in the pool for 2 hours or more just about every weekend during the summer. Swimming, splashing, playing, and, I'm sure, urinating from time to time. Even with all of that, I haven't seen CC above 0.5, and it quickly returns to zero after my evening chlorine addition and some sunlight the following day.

I'm wondering if you're chlorinating just enough to keep an algae bloom or something else at bay in your pool...

please run a full test from your Taylor test and post them all up, that will help a lot. you do NOT need to know any chemistry to do the testing, just need to read instructions and go in order. only you have to be able to do is fill the water to the line it says, and the be able to count drops till the color changes as noted. its really that simple.

your source of CC can be from algae or it can be from kids peeing in the pool. best way to figure it out is to test before they swim and right after. if there was a big spike in CC, then you know it was pee. if you are always getting CC, then that's probably algae.

post the tests. don't let some inanimate object intimidate you, just dive in and do it :)

and stay out of the pool store, you don't need or want their advice. non-chlorine shock?? LOL, those guys crack me up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.