We have an above ground 23,000L SWG (Haywood T-15 cell) that we installed last year. But because it was so late in the year, we didn't get the heat pump installed until this year. So I was able to use it last year about 2 months, but we had her up & running since April this year woot woot!
To get my feet wet, I've been taking my pool water samples to a local wholesaler, but this year I've also purchased 2 test kits to start testing myself: LaMotte ColorQ Pool 7 Plus, and a Taylor K-2006. I've been using the LaMotte as I sure do like the auto read-out compared to the freak-out intimidation factor when I opened the K-2006 (I must admit, I opened the K-2006, said a bad word, and promptly closed it LOL), but from what I'm reading here, I would be better off between these 2 and learn the Taylor system.
Since finding this site, I've also gone to Pool School and have learned a tremendous amount about readings, what they are for (what an excellent posting here on this subject!), and recommended levels (which can often be different than what my pool supplies store indicates.) Just an example, they list my CYA should be in the 30-60 range, but Haywood (as well as you guys) say it should really be in the 70-80 range. So I HAVE learned don't exactly take those guys at face value.
While I'm learning and think I'm being a diligent student, where I'm struggling is the whole FC vs CC levels and how to regulate CC. Because my pool is pretty small (12' x 20' x 52"), I can regulate my FC pretty easily with the SWG. But my CC is never zero unless I salt shock it, but then it shoots my FC levels around 10 and I then have to turn the generator off until the sun brings it down to the 4-6 level (as recommended here, with my CYA needs of 70-80). And this normally takes 4-5 days, and since we can still use it in the interim, my CC levels go back up and then I have to shock it again. So it seems a revolving door of shocking, and from what I've read, this shouldn't be the case?
For color, we are the only ones with a pool in our neighborhood, so the kids come over quite a bit (3 times a week or so after school) and I strongly suspect they are peeing in the pool and I don't know if that affects the CC level but I would suspect so. We have very little debris in the pool, maybe 5 leaves a day, so that can't be it.
I had then asked the pool supplies store if they had a non-chlorine shock thinking I could control my FC with the SWG and just regulate the CC using the non-chlorine shock, but I've read here that this is not for outdoor pools but indoor (why didn't they tell me that?). So there has to be a better way to regulate my CC without using salt shock that throws my FC for a loop (and affects my salt levels too, which are currently 3100)?
What am I missing here?
ps - I did a water test on my pool yesterday, but there's no point in posting my numbers since it is pouring rain and is expected to do so for the next 2 days (the only # I was high on was PH, pool place said 8.1, LaMotte reading said 7.5. I'm gearing up my nerve to re-test after all the rain with the K-2006. Gulp.)