IC60 and Intelliflo Wiring

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
I'm looking at upgrading to an IC60 SWG and Intelliflo pump. I've read the IC60 installation instructions, but it's not clear to me how one would wire the IC60 to operate when the Intelliflo is operating at the appropriate speeds. How does this work? Buying an automation system is not an option.

My intelliflo is wired to the breaker and runs on its own internal timer. My IC40 is on its own timeclock. I run my on 1100 rpm to skim and make chlorine. I just make sure the pump is running when I set the runtime for my SWG. My pump draw 150 watts at 1100 rpm so I don't mind running it at 12+ hours a day. I thin my SWG is running 7 hours at 60% right now.

I prefer to have it wired in such a way that it's physically impossible for the SWG to run when the pump is not running. Since the Intelliflo has a built-in timer, I'm assuming Pentair had the foresight to allow the pump to at least control a relay or something since their SWGs require it.

A little searching and it looks like Pentair never contemplated customers having both the Intellichlor and Intelliflo, as the built-in timer on the pump has no mechanism for controlling power to the Intellichlor. So much for the "intelli" part of the nomenclature. I am glad to have discovered this before wasting the extra cost associated with a built-in controller when I would just have to override it or bypass it.

Does anybody know of a variable speed pump that does not have a built-in controller (and is discounted appropriately for not having the controller), or one that has a controller capable of managing other devices that depend on pump operation according to the manufacturer's own requirements? It looks like you can purchase an Easy Touch system with salt cell for about the same cost as an Intellichlor unit and power supply, but what's not clear to me is whether the Easy Touch functions as the power supply to a salt cell, or whether you also have to have the separate power supply. Being the cynic that I am, I would suspect that the system is designed to have the customer purchase as many parts as possible, but it's a case where I hope to be wrong.

Thanks again for all of your help.

if you buy the EasyTouch that comes with SWG as a package, then the power supply for the SWG in already installed in the panel. The EasyTouch also allows you to adjust the cells output in 1% increments rather than the 10% or 20% that you can adjust on the cell itself. While not needed to make things run, I like the fact that the EasyTouch contains a Circuit Breaker panel, valve controls, pump controls, etc, making for a pretty clean visual impression.

Jim R.

if you buy the EasyTouch that comes with SWG as a package, then the power supply for the SWG in already installed in the panel. The EasyTouch also allows you to adjust the cells output in 1% increments rather than the 10% or 20% that you can adjust on the cell itself. While not needed to make things run, I like the fact that the EasyTouch contains a Circuit Breaker panel, valve controls, pump controls, etc, making for a pretty clean visual impression.

Jim R.

Thanks. I see that when you buy the package deals it's closer to $1,700 - $1,800 for an Easy Touch with IC60. That's not likely to happen any time soon, especially when I feel like a manufacturer is intentionally crippling their products in order to induce me to spend more money. I'd rather carry the chlorine home from the store by the tablespoon than hand over money in that situation.

I guess I'm back to looking at a manufacturer who makes a variable speed pump with no controller and a price discounted to reflect that, or that has a controller capable of operating their equipment the way they require it to be operated.

I have the Solartouch and I am happy with it. Wish I had done a little more research and spent a few extra bucks on the Suntouch. Pool automation gets a lot of negative reviews because it is not very intuitive to set up and requires thorough reading of the manual and some trial and error to get things to work. Most, many, all, lots of people are not willing to read and try to get it set up and operating. This is true of all brands of automation. Then add the additional complexity of trying to integrate multiple brands of equipment which is not always possible. This leads to poor reviews. But, the poor reviews are really about set up and not about operation. Which is true, pool manufacturers could do more to make the set up more user friendly. But, a lot of the systems are professionally installed and set up.

All Pentair pool automation works very well once properly installed and set up. I'm sure other brands do as well, I am just not personally familiar with them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.