Another question

Jun 11, 2015
O'Fallon, MO
I posted about my pool being almost full & how to proceed until I get my kit. Well, it is now full & I got the intex sand pump running with no leaks-yay!! My dinky test kit stated my pH was 7.8 (I'm on well water). The pool math told me to add 63 oz of 10% bleach & 65 oz of CYA which is almost the entire jug I bought at Walmart. Does that sound right? I just now added 32 oz bleach (4 cups in my glass measuring cup) & half the CYA in the skimmer-it's a small skimmer so the CYA I divided between two socks since it did not fit in one. Should I add the rest of the bleach & just keep an eye on the CYA adding the next sock when the first one is dissolved? TIA everyone-you guys are awesome!

Yours is no kiddie pool. 24 feet across and filled about 4 feet deep is 13,500 gallons. Many in-ground pools are smaller than that. It's going to take large quantities of stuff.

With zero CYA, you should target 2 or 3 for the FC. I get more like 52 oz of 10% bleach.

The CYA dose is correct. If there's no room in the skimmer without blocking flow, hang the other over the side in front of a return. Or tie it to a floating toy and let it bob around. If the one in the skimmer is done first, move it there.

Thanks, Richard. It's definitely not a kiddie pool-it's awesome. We did get in it this afternoon & I clean as much as possible with the net then took a brush on the sides & floor. I'm ready to vacuum now. I went on & added the other amount of chlorine & it smells right-like a pool should smell. Did bother our skin & we swam for about an hour. According to tracking, my 100 test kit should arrive tomorrow so should I do anything tomorrow before I get it? It's being delivered UPS & we don't get those deliveries until around 5 PM. Thanks again!

Actually, once everything is balanced properly, it won't smell like a pool. It won't smell at all. That pool smell is combined chloramines that gets created when bleach reacts with sweat and dead skin and urine. Any skin irritation was probably from that, or possibly the pH is out of range.

Geez, I can't type. It did not bother our skin at all. But that's good to know that it shouldn't have the chlorine smell anyway. So the first sock of CYA is dissolved & I just put the second sock in. I won't do anything more I guess until I get my test kit then will post numbers. Unless anyone has any further advice. Thanks again!

OK, last night I added acid & then chlorine at the slam goal of 12. This AM I tested CL which was 5 PH, which is 7.8, & CC, which is 1.2. Does this mean I should SLAM again??? I have to take my daughter to the dentist so ran out of time for any other tests. The pump has been running since & I'm just leaving it on until I get numbers where they should be. I'm not sure what I should continue to test. The CYA is still dissolving so I'm not worried about that since it takes a while to show up. Should I do TA & CH again when I get home since I did them last night? Should I run CL & PH, & CC again as well? We will be home in 3-4 hours. TIA again!

You need to continue to slam...if you really went from 12 FC to 5 overnight and have greater than 1ppm CC then you aren't close to finishing SLAM. You need to keep your FC above your target and do an OCLT where you lose less than 1 ppm over night.

Slam is a process that starts, but does not stop until CC is less than .5, overnight chlorine loss is ZERO and the water is clear. The secret is to get the FC up to shock level and keep it there, which means testing and additions every hour or two. Use the shock level for your CYA Target, even though CYA will not show up in testing for several days.

Your Overnight Chlorine Loss Test result was 7

I have yet another question. So my chlorine dropped to 4 mid afternoon on the little test kit so I added a gallon of bleach per pool math-I think it called for 127 oz so I just put the entire jug in. I then left again (busy day;)) & just got back. Tested just now & FC: is 10.5 & CC of .05. Should I add some more bleach to get back to SLAM level yet tonight or wait until I get a Chlorine drop reading tomorrow? My water is clear, so according to pool school if I lose less than 1 ppm of chlorine, I should be finished slamming, right? TIA!

I have yet another question. So my chlorine dropped to 4 mid afternoon on the little test kit so I added a gallon of bleach per pool math-I think it called for 127 oz so I just put the entire jug in. I then left again (busy day;)) & just got back. Tested just now & FC: is 10.5 & CC of .05. Should I add some more bleach to get back to SLAM level yet tonight or wait until I get a Chlorine drop reading tomorrow? My water is clear, so according to pool school if I lose less than 1 ppm of chlorine, I should be finished slamming, right? TIA!
Keep it up until you have absolutely passed the overnight loss test. You don't want to start one of these threads titled, "Third SLAm this Summer." Do it right the first time and keep the FC up and it can be the last time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I believe that your overnight chlorine loss needs to be zero before you should stop.

Good Morning. So I did the ONDT. This is kind of funny to me, but my FC is higher this morning. So did I count wrong?!? Anyway, I'm thinking I didn't lose any overnight. Today FC is 12, the PH is just a fuzz higher than 7.8 as far as color goes so I'm guessing 8. It's definitely lighter than the 8.2 shade, but not quite exact with the 7.8 color. Thoughts everyone? Are there any other tests I should be doing today? Pool is clear.

How long after you added your last bleach yesterday did you test for FC last night? You want a stable reading of FC after dusk the night before, so it needs to be at least an hour or two after you last added bleach. If reading your posts you didn't add anymore bleach after your 10.5 sample at 10:30 last night, and you are reading 12 this morning, I would attribute that to testing error...be sure you are swirling the solution as you add drops, that your bottle of 871 is vertical when adding drops so they are consistent in size, etc. I've gained .5 to 1 ppm myself in an OCLT, but since I've started using the speed stir my tests are more consistent.

It was several hours after adding bleach & right at a half hour after dusk. It very well could be testing error since I'm fairly new at this. I'm afraid my budget doesn't allow for the speed stir right now but I go back to work in August so will try to get one then. In the meantime, do I leave it alone today & repeat test tonight? Do I need to test anything else? TIA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.