Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Owner First Time Poster

1. Back To Top    #1

New Owner First Time Poster

I am new to this pool stuff. On the bottom of the deep end, there is a black dirty area that just appeared in the last week. It wont vacuum up or wont even brush. Has anyone experienced this and if yes, what do I need to do?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Owner First Time Poster

I don't know what type of pool you have, but vinyl liner could be mold underneath. Plaster pool could be black algae. Neither one of those will just brush up. Black algae looks likesmall black spots and can be treated with copper algaecide. I dot know what to suggest if it's mold under a liner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by crpoll5 View Post
    I am new to this pool stuff. On the bottom of the deep end, there is a black dirty area that just appeared in the last week. It wont vacuum up or wont even brush. Has anyone experienced this and if yes, what do I need to do?
    Welcome to TFP!!

Have you tested the water and can you provide a set of test results?

Quote Originally Posted by HQPools View Post
    I don't know what type of pool you have, but vinyl liner could be mold underneath. Plaster pool could be black algae. Neither one of those will just brush up. Black algae looks likesmall black spots and can be treated with copper algaecide. I dot know what to suggest if it's mold under a liner.
    We generally do not subscribe to treating any type of algae with algecide, especially a copper based algecide. Black algae can be treqated with chlorine and elbow grease following this article
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I second Tim on not using Copper Algacides as they lead to staining, so it's best to avoid them.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach