Jandy Watercolors Pool and Spa Light, how to tell if 12V or 120V

jb_sfl

Jan 5, 2015
Wellington, FL
My spa led light went out about 6-7 months ago, I didn't mind it but now the pool light is out too.

I can hear the relay clicking, the spa light is very very dim almost gray, and the pool light doesn't light up at all.

I did some research and found that there is a 120V light for each, and a 12V light for each. I contacted Jandy on how I can tell which is which, since none of the pool documentation was here when I bought the house, and they said you can't tell I have to call someone. Don't really feel like doing that yet.

Pool(Large) Light 12V - R0474000 - CPLVLED
Pool(Large) Light 120V - R0474100 - CPHVLED
Spa(Small) Light 12V - R0473900 - CSLVLED
Spa(Small) Light 120V - R0473900 - CSHVLED

I am wondering is there a way I can tell what the light's voltages are, I was asking Jandy if I could pull the light and tell without taking the gasket off, that is when they told me to call a technician.

I can do that (take the gasket off), but then I need to order new gaskets just to take the lights out to see what Voltage to order (if one can even tell that way), put the old lights back in with new gaskets, then order more new gaskets and the correct light engines (That is my plan if all else fails).

THANKS!

If you are at all technical, simply use a voltmeter and test the voltage to the light at the light junction box or the power source. Do it carefully, 12v lights usually have a transformer in the circuit. Normally you will find the light junction boxes around the perimeter of the pool.

If you are at all technical, simply use a voltmeter and test the voltage to the light at the light junction box or the power source. Do it carefully, 12v lights usually have a transformer in the circuit. Normally you will find the light junction boxes around the perimeter of the pool.

Thanks OldPoolMan. I actually got in touch with the people who build the pool, they had the plans on micrfiche LOL but told me they were 12v. I still don't trust they gave me the correct voltage so I will test with voltmeter as you suggested good thinking.

They did give me an estimate if anyone is interested (I need to get my prof pool license or something pool rates are high!)

Whole pool light replacement and install: $1230
Whole spa light replacement and install: $1001

If only need new light engines:
Pool light engine replacement and install: $850
Spa light engine replacement and instal: $800

light junction box.jpg

I am trying to upload a pic of what I think the junction box is it doesn't seem to be uploading though.

- - - Updated - - -

OK there it is, does this looks like the junction box you are talking ab out OldPoolMan? I guess I can just check the hot wires to ground for voltage but have to twist off those wire nuts.

So I was able to get both light engines with gaskets for $859.90. That saves me about $900 considering if I had the original pool company come out they would have charged me tax too. Hopefully just the light engines are needed :) The lights housing themselves still looks perfect and clear.

Will let you all know how it goes. Probably two weeks to get them special order.

I finally got the pool light, still waiting on the spa light. Pool light works perfectly, I guess the lights go out over a period of time, because the red on splash mode used to be very dim, now it is a bright red, and it also does a yellow I have not seen before. With the red, the purples and deep blues look 100 times better than it ever did!

Thanks Old Pool Man and Trouble Free Pool forum for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.